Splicing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Ok to splice #10 wires in a jb I know you just use wire nuts. What about splicing 2/0, 3/0 etc. Split bolts etc??? It for tapping a feeder. Thanks.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Do any of your jobs have specs.?
You could :
split bolt
power block
crimp
polaris tap

LOL...This one only has spec on the drawings( basic stuff). I asked the GC and he said no. I know there are several different methods but never really knew excatly how it was done.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You need to look at 314.16(C).
Very unlikely your LB will fit the requirement.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
LB???? Elbow??? That section deals with conductors in boxes etc. What are you saying? Thanks.

easy grasshopper, don't overload it :)
314.16 Number of Conductors in Outlet, Device, and Junction Boxes, and Conduit Bodies.
(C) Conduit Bodies.

jdsmith

Polaris or ilsco taps are the fastest to install and the easiest to work on in the future if you would need to get them apart and back together. Split bolts would work as well, it just takes a long time and multiple products to make up the insulation system on them correctly. Power blocks are a cleaner option than the ilsco or polaris taps, but it takes more space to mount them. The big advantage is that they don't move around since they're screwed fast so it's safer to put a meter on them when they're held stationary.

flyboy

Ask the counter guy in the supply house for 750MCM wirenuts. They fit every size from 16ga to 750MCM.

Very handy, saves shelf space in the truck too.

Status
Not open for further replies.