switch location for required lighting outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.

switchleg45

Location requirements regarding the switch for required lighting outlet?
Can the switch for the required lighting outlet in habitable rooms be located 'outside' the door? I have searched the NEC to no avail as well as the 07 FBC.

480sparky

Location requirements regarding the switch for required lighting outlet?
Can the switch for the required lighting outlet in habitable rooms be located 'outside' the door? I have searched the NEC to no avail as well as the 07 FBC.

The NEC says nothing about location.

celtic

Can the switch for the required lighting outlet in habitable rooms be located 'outside' the door? I have searched the NEC to no avail ....

The switch could located in the basement for a 3rd flr. bedroom.....not the ideal location, but no requirement exists for otherwise.

210.70(A)(1) is about as close as you will get....stairs is probably one of the only mandated switch locations [ 210.70(A)(2)(c) ]

SEO

I submitted a code proposal several cycles ago about switch location which was rejected, the reply was it's a design issue. I used an anology similar to Celtics.

SEO

Why would you want that a code requirement?

I wanted a switch located within the room of the lighting outlet. One problem would be a bathroom with the switch located outside the room which could be turned off while someone was in the bathtub. But as stated above said switch could be located in the basement. How about using swd circuit breakers and have all lighting not required to be 3-way controlled switched from the main panel? I hope designers don't think of that!

Last edited:

stickboy1375

I wanted a switch located within the room of the lighting outlet. One problem would be a bathroom with the switch located outside the room which could be turned off while someone was in the bathtub. But as stated above said switch could be located in the basement. How about using swd circuit breakers and have all lighting not required to be 3-way controlled switched from the main panel? I hope designers don't think of that!

You get what you pay for bottom line, I still dont see why anyone would want this a code requirement?

eric7379

Correct me if I'm wrong, (which I am sure no one will hesitate to do:)), but aren't things like this covered in building codes?

switchleg45

Exactly.
I would think that there is a good possibilty that while dad is in the shower the kids might think its a 'real funny joke' to turn off the lights on him...and when he trips and breaks his neck to get to the light switch whos funny now?
The same scenario could be applied to any habitable room...kind of on the lines of the disconnect being "within sight"
Is this not a "safety" issue? Hard to believe something this simple has not been addressed. Design issue??

Status
Not open for further replies.