Switched Din. Rm. Outlet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

69boss302

Re: Switched Din. Rm. Outlet?

I had a boss tell me once, "Once you find a good hoarse get on and enjoy the ride". None of this beating a dead horse nonsense. :D So does this mean that this is a good thread :p

mc5w

If you want to be REALLY cheap, install a wall light right above the light switch. We one time lived in an apartment that had the bedroom lights wired that way.

kturner

As I look at 210.70(A)1 & its exception, it gives me two options - install a switch controlled lighting outlet or install a switch controlled receptacle in lieu thereof. I don't see as an option to merely install a switch on one of my 210.52 required receptacles. If I were to do that, now I'm short one receptacle. Anybody agree?

physis

You are right that you'll have to have all the required receptacles. It's not required that they be duplex, so you could switch one half of a duplex. And either way, you can have as many 210.52 receptacles as you want if you need to add another one.

jimwalker

It says you may have a wall switched receptacle.It never said you cant use the SA receptacle to meet that requirement.It does say you are permitted to use a general purpose branch receptacle,the key word being PERMITTED.And no place did it ever say you cant switch a SA receptacle or that you cant plug lamps into a SA receptacle
See ,it's clear as mud

physis

Trouble is Jim, the NEC is a "permissive document". That means, if it don't say you can't, then you can. And it doesn't say you can't, at least the way I read it.

It does say you are permitted to use a general purpose branch receptacle,the key word being PERMITTED.And no place did it ever say you cant switch a SA receptacle or that you cant plug lamps into a SA receptacle
Jim, do you notice that you're trying to have it both ways here? :D

[ April 02, 2005, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

jwelectric

What length box is required for three #1 lead-covered conductors at 1600 volts for a straight pull? #1 outside diameter is .585.

(a)15? (c)22?
(b)19? (d)29?

this is how I have spent my day

kturner

Okay,let's say I've installed receptacles in my dining room in compliance with all requirements of 210.52. Now, I've got to address 210.70 and put a light in there. I can either install a switched lighting outlet or I can install a switched receptacle in lieu thereof. But if I choose to install a switched receptacle, I've still got to comply with 210.52; I can't violate 210.52 in order to meet 210.70. This switched receptacle is my lighting outlet and cannot be fed by the SA circuit. The only way to do this and comply with both 210.52 and 210.70 is to use the exception that permits a general purpose circuit for the switched receptacle.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

JW, the answer is "D"

Roger

physis

I guess I missed. :(

kturner,

It is resolved. The code isn't completly clear so there are two groups. Those who believe it's allowed, like me, and those who are wrong. :D Just kidding. :D

To answer your question, the switched outlet is "in lieu" of a lighting outlet. That makes a pretty good case that the switched receptacle is not a lighting outlet.

So what prevents 210.52 and 210.70 from being satisfied with an SA circuit?

kturner

Having a switched rect does not eliminate the need for a lighting outlet, it is the lighting outlet.410.70 says we got to have either a switched outlet or a switched rect in lieu thereof. It doesn't say we can switch a 210.52 rect and not have a lighting outlet.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by kturner:
Having a switched rect does not eliminate the need for a lighting outlet, it is the lighting outlet.
I agree

A few dozen pages back a few of us pointed out the same thing. :D

At this point we will get no where.

This thread crashed and burned a few days ago.

down_in_flames_120x90.jpg

jwelectric

Originally posted by kturner:
D. None of the above. :D
At least 15 of the eighty will have this answer. Only five will be correct. I did a Level I with the first 10 questions having an answer of "C". It was fun watching when they answered these.

Status
Not open for further replies.