Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Re: Switched Din. Rm. Outlet?

Originally posted by physis:
Edit: I have no doubt that the intention is that the lighting outlet not be on the SA circuits. But appearantly CMP 2 can't figure out how to write that.
Either that, or it just comes down to the fact that the NEC consists of minimum requirements, or so we're told. In the end, the only required lighting outlets are in the bathroom, kitchen, and human-sized egress doors.

If you look closely, you don't even need a light in stairs. If you supply a light, it needs to be switched at both ends. If you don't, you don't. :)

I think if this article were written in plain english, without circular references, it would be 1000 pages long. It sucks, but it's tricky to pick apart. I've been trying. :D

physis

Charlie, I want a do race cars.
car-smiley-012.gif

jimwalker

What keeps me from just putting in outlets as required ?That means a box with wires available and blanked off.It did not say i needed a fixture.

physis

I think if this article were written in plain english, without circular references, it would be 1000 pages long. It sucks, but it's tricky to pick apart. I've been trying.
Don't put any lighting outlets on the SA's required by 210.52.

There. What 1000 pages? :confused:

davedottcom

Good Grief...when I left this morning there was 38 posts...now 64...I must have been the only guy actually WORKING on Saturday?!?! ;) What was your previous profession George?

Dave

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

OK Sam, let's all get in the race. :)

Roger

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by davedottcom:
What was your previous profession George?
(In my best english accent)
Well, if you must know, I started my whirlwind career flipping ham-burgers, then proceeded to take the newspaper-stacking industry by storm, and now I am a controlled electron flow coordinator. :D

physis

Alright, I think we might have a contest startin' up.
Power_car.gif

[ March 26, 2005, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by physis:
Don't put any lighting outlets on the SA's required by 210.52.

There. What 1000 pages?
But, what I'm not seeing is, why would this be the intent? Where is the safety issue with having a lamp plugged into the dining room SA instead of a ceiling light? That would be a tough proposal to justify.

Trashy, sure, but not unsafe.

physis

George, George, George.

I can't figure out what they're writing, how am I supposed to deduce what they're thinking?

But to be serious for a moment, I think that you could expect substantial dimming from lights connected to the SA circuits.

I just added a new circuit in a house because the owner bought an 1800 watt microwave. Plug a lamp in next to that.

physis

Maybe that's why Article 210 is so flip floppy.

You know the Easter Bunny's coming soon. :D

jimwalker

I do understand why we would not risk the kitchen light on a SA circuit,having the light go out while we are using a small appliance might be a hazard.Guess the same could apply to the dining room should we have anything like a warming tray in use,or perhaps a coffee maker.Looking at it this way there is good reason to not have lights involved with any cooking circuit.Like i said in beginning i would not do this nor have i ever.I can not recall ever wiring a dining room that did not have a ceiling fixture.But if i was an inspector and you offered a switched SA receptacle as the lighting outlet i would not know what code i could site that makes it a violation.

physis

40 minutes later:

hypnowheel1.gif

Sam and George are perfect.

Sam and George, and Bob too for 5 bucks, are perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.