Taped Wirenuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krim

Referring to post #90 ....

76nemo said:
This discussion is beyond any head-scratching and smirks. I'll try to end this discussion with this.
http://www.flukecommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2389&page=1&pp=10

.... Let's let this dog die,............

76nemo, I noticed that your a member on that forum as well , thanks for providing another forums link.
Back on subject the pictures shown at the other forum link are very similar to what I typically see around where I'm currently employed almost daily.
It doesn't look like anyone thought of at least adding on to the boxes & needless to say it's very awkward when you reach in and start pulling the wires outta the box ... your'e just waiting for that tingling feeling or worse yet the sparks to begin flying ! Another case of having to work on "hot" systems , you can't just shut down the whole building to trace a problem down .

The other thing that I wanted to say is you can't just let a dog die or you'll get turned in for animal cruelty . :D

Carl :)

Last edited:

Krim

Originally Posted by paul
If I'm not mistaken, the directions say to start 1 foot below the wirenut. I'll be danged if I'm going to leave 1 foot of conductor in a fixture box, but for grins and giggles, I'll start taping the connections. :wink:

dlhoule said:
Good work, Paul. I never noticed the 1 foot. Now to me that is just a wee bit too time consuming.:D

I'm sure that's a typo and meant 1 inch .

To end the taping controversy we could all use these as a std wire nut :
weatherproof.jpg

They have a waterproof/moistureproof seal inside 'em .

Carl :grin:

Last edited:

brian john

How long will this thread go before it's closed?

While I understand it may be unconftable to have your peers question a practice you do as a standard installation procedure, but for me this has been somewhat eye opening as I never understood why people felt it necessary to tape wirenuts. Still do not understand why but understand you stance.

For me this site is about education and comradery, in this vein this thread meets those requirements and does not violate the rules of the moderators. Does it?

For tapers what type of work do you do, in new residential I would think this would be time consuming?

brian john said:
For me this site is about education and comeradery, in this vein this thread meets those requirements and does not violate the rules of the moderators. Does it?

For tapers what type of work do you do, in new residential I would think this would be time consuming?

In the OP, the question *seemed* to be related to normal, everyday, plain vanilla, inside, dry condition, new work connections. Then some started relating examples of motor's and wet conditions and tight space repairs, etc which are decidedly different situations.

Do we need a different thread for the different conditions? ;)
Just a thought.

Krim

brian john said:

I work in industrial, I guess is what it's closest to considered, it's a university campus , a little industrial, a little commercial and a little residential (student dormatories, faculty housing & homes). So I'm not sure what one class I'd be considered predominantly . I usually only tape up wirenuts in areas where I feel moisture could cause problems such as in motor housing splices , but I'll admit I have also done it in ceiling junction boxes on occassion ... don't ask why , I really can't say other than the old habits kick in sometimes , not so much now though since I've been using those sealing wirenuts where I think they'd be a better choice and sooo many have just spoken out about hating to see wire nuts taped up .

Carl :)

peter d

stickboy1375 said:
I was thinking the same, i'm going to start a thread about unrolling romex or just pulling it out the center of the roll... :grin:

Yeah, what else do DIY hacks do that we can talk about? ;)

480sparky

peter d said:
Yeah, what else do DIY hacks do that we can talk about? ;)

How about my all-time favorite DIY tip: Don't ground to the metal water pipe... you may touch a faucet the same time there is a short in your electrical?

Krim

stickboy1375 said:
I was thinking the same, i'm going to start a thread about unrolling romex or just pulling it out the center of the roll... :grin:

I wish it (romex) came in a box like the communications wiring does so we never had to deal with it kinking up once you've removed it from the cellophane wrapping .

Carl :rolleyes:

EBFD6

Krim said:
I wish it (romex) came in a box like the communications wiring does so we never had to deal with it kinking up once you've removed it from the cellophane wrapping .

Carl :rolleyes:

1000' spools and rack-a-tiers or 250' coils and a lazy susan dispenser both work pretty well.

EBFD6

stickboy1375 said:

Why start a new thread? That's the best thing about this forum. The OP asks a question and 15 pages later you wouldn't be able to tell what the initial topic was if you were on one of thoses CSI shows.

iwire

Staff member
Krim said:
Leave out the redheads and throw'em away cause they can't figure out just what those little red plastic things could have to do with the wiring .

Pete throws away red heads anyway. :grin:

480sparky

EBFD6 said:
Why start a new thread? That's the best thing about this forum. The OP asks a question and 15 pages later you wouldn't be able to tell what the initial topic was if you were on one of thoses CSI shows.

In that case, every memebers' DNA will be available in 5 minutes for computer comparison to every crime commited in the last 400 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.