Tffn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhfire77

I was in a pinch and had to use a supply shop I don't normally. I decided to get wire for a job later in the week to save a trip.

I am doing some control wiring, #16 was the minimum size (low current controls). It will be in EMT outside. Trying to save $ I wanted to use #16 in lieu of #14. They only had TFFN/MTW in #16.

I didn't get it because I cannot figure out if this can be used in a wet or damp location.

Do they even make conductor rated for such an application in #16?

I think my wife put my white book in the recycling pile, and I cannot find it.

nhfire77

That's what I looked at when at the counter. I checked again.There is nothing about wet or damp locations The fixture itself is mentioned, not wire specifically.

ohmhead

I was in a pinch and had to use a supply shop I don't normally. I decided to get wire for a job later in the week to save a trip.

I am doing some control wiring, #16 was the minimum size (low current controls). It will be in EMT outside. Trying to save $ I wanted to use #16 in lieu of #14. They only had TFFN/MTW in #16.

I didn't get it because I cannot figure out if this can be used in a wet or damp location.

Do they even make conductor rated for such an application in #16?

Well Tffn/mtw is moisture resistant & heat only. And only use for control .

Not a wet location and yes thwn W is wet

Last edited:

480sparky

Isn't MTW in T310.13?

Yes.
HoltBlueDot.jpg

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The attached Southwire description may help:
http://www.southwire.com/products/TFFNTFNTEWNOEM.htm

but I will admit it leaves a question in my head. "when used as machine tool wire it is suitable for wet locations".....
Is your application using it as machine tool wire ?????
(I'm unable to answer---- if it was my call , I'd lean toward approving)

nhfire77

It says moisture, not damp or wet. It specifically states oil or coolant, this is just outside, not in a factory setting.

Anyway, I have the job. I won't lose sleep (or money) over it. I am only using 60% of the spools on the job anyway. I estimate for whole spools, but I won't use it all.

I'd rather put it what I know is safe.

Thanks for helping.

And no, this was not a Machine Tool situation.

danickstr

since I have never seen a 10 amp breaker, I am wondering if thhn is even made in 16 ga. I used tffn for control wires on a generator with conduit that went outside, as that is all i could find also.

satcom

since I have never seen a 10 amp breaker, I am wondering if thhn is even made in 16 ga. I used tffn for control wires on a generator with conduit that went outside, as that is all i could find also.

Yes, Thhn comes in 16 ga and is very common in machine wiring, and custom control panel wiring.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
A Square D QO110 fits in a standard panelboard.

There are many unit mount (not bus connected) or DIN rail mounted breakers, used in control panels, that go as low as 0.5A.

Status
Not open for further replies.