Thinking about the next guy, running conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mule

How many of you think and leave room for additional conduit runs when planning your conduit route. I am doing a installation, and previous electricians "block off" future runs by not thinking. They block useable unitstrut trapeze space, run on the bottom of red iron trusses blocking perpandicular runs...did I spell that right? any way...it frustrates me....:smile: just curious....

ohm

I always try to think about the next guy (or me) by running parallel, plumb or perpendicular and either pulling a spare or at least a string.

Besides the work looks better and if a change order occurs for another pair it's a piece of cake!

sgr1

I always plan ahead thinking I might be the one to run the next pipe. But it seems most people don't. I think that comes with experince too. But it makes us better mechanics to figure out how to get around their junk. Steve

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I do.:smile:

If I'm running conduit for a custome chances are I or one of my coworkers will be the ones to come back and do more when the time comes. People who run pipe across trapezes, get to the end and 90 across the paths of any future conduits really irritate me. Get to the end and kick it or offset it down before changing direction!

Strings seem to be hit or miss. Half the time they seem to wrap around the wires and I end up pulling the ground out anyways. Shouldn't have wasted the time/string...:rolleyes:

Forgot to mention, running slightly oversized pipe really helps when you know it's there and come back to bid another job.

alfiesauce

A great place to learn the importance of thinking about the next guy is for new pipe runners to be involved in a multi phase project over the whole span of the project- because then you will be the next guy. Over 3 or 4 phases you are pretty much guaranteed to have to run new pipe in the completed phases and that new run can either be a piece of cake because of proper planning or a real pain in the butt because of a lack of it. And then you only have yourself to blame.

220/221

I always seem to be the next guy so, yeah.

I also have a pretty good understanding of all the trades and I always try to think of the building project as a whole.

Examples:

If you have to stub out, think about where exactly you are stubbing out, who this stub may affect and what the end result will be. Even 1/4" is huge sometimes.

Boxes in a tiles backsplash need to be installed at least in the same horizontal plane. If there are inlays etc, you want to stay away from them.

etc

I try not to be too concerned with the next guy. With the competitive nature of our business, i don't have a lot of wiggle time to worry about the next guy. I guess since i don't get paid to worry about the next guy, i am not going to. Granted most of the work i do, my layouts usually leave plenty of room for later, but if a route gets blocked, and the next guy might have to do some actual work than o'well.:D

Mule

I try not to be too concerned with the next guy. With the competitive nature of our business, i don't have a lot of wiggle time to worry about the next guy. I guess since i don't get paid to worry about the next guy, i am not going to. Granted most of the work i do, my layouts usually leave plenty of room for later, but if a route gets blocked, and the next guy might have to do some actual work than o'well.:D

AND, when I have to deal with your installation, I have to tell the customer why my installation took longer. And they say "Oh, I see" then they call me next time instead of you...O'well

iwire

Staff member
AND, when I have to deal with your installation, I have to tell the customer why my installation took longer. And they say "Oh, I see" then they call me next time instead of you...O'well

And that happens once for every ten times it does not.

It really depends on the customer, some want fast and cheap others want it perfect in every way. I have no problem working for either of those customers.

Mule

And that happens once for every ten times it does not.

It really depends on the customer, some want fast and cheap others want it perfect in every way. I have no problem working for either of those customers.

Generaly those customers who want it fast and cheap, ultimately find another electrician, because Im not their guy....To me, my customers hire me because I dont lessen my quality ....In general its pride in my trade, however I did install a cheapy 1/2 PVC conduit installation the other day. It was sooo flimsy, I fought it the whole way to make it look nice...never again...because MY name is on it.....HEY its a small town

Mule

Your obviously a superior electrician.

I dont think so at, in fact alot of you guys have a deeper knowledge of the NEC......I have just decided, If I cant have some satisfaction in my work other than money, I need to find something else to do.

But for you, I respect your desire to defend this person, and for that Im impressed....and for me, I should have kept my opinions to myself....sorry

iwire

Staff member
I have just decided, If I cant have some satisfaction in my work other than money, I need to find something else to do.

I can find satisfaction in being able to make a code compliant installation that makes the customer happy. That does not always mean I end up doing it how I would want it to be done.

But for you, I respect your desire to defend this person, and for that Im impressed

He needs no defense, he did nothing wrong.

....and for me, I should have kept my opinions to myself....sorry

What does that mean? :confused:

Did you expect to voice a strong opinion on the forum without someone disagreeing with it?

Mule

What does that mean? :confused:

Did you expect to voice a strong opinion on the forum without someone disagreeing with it?

I shouldnt think, that, my way is the only way......My father was a machinist and restored national winning antique cars, and that sense of quality rubbed off on me I guess, hence my comments I guess. You are correct that if the installation meets code its sufficient, but to me, "Workmanship manner" is the real topic here...and thats a topic that has many definitions...

stickboy1375

Generaly those customers who want it fast and cheap, ultimately find another electrician, because Im not their guy....To me, my customers hire me because I dont lessen my quality ....In general its pride in my trade, however I did install a cheapy 1/2 PVC conduit installation the other day. It was sooo flimsy, I fought it the whole way to make it look nice...never again...because MY name is on it.....HEY its a small town

You can work for whoever you want, I'm just doing this for the money.

mdshunk

You need to get that type of nonsense out of your head right now, and I'm serious about that. With that sort of attitude, you've just pushed aside 50% of your potential business. Sell them whatever sort of install it is they're buying. You're not an artist. You're not even an electrician, to some extent. You're a business person. When you want everything "perfect" your company will never grow, and you'll never be able to have employees. You'll end up 65 years old, you and maybe a helper, still bending pipe.

growler

Think about what you are saying. The company in question already called you the "next time". If they were completely satisfied with the work and price from contractor "A" there would be no reason for you to be on the job, they would still be useing contractor "A".

Not only that but every new contractor tells the customer that he/his company is offering something better than the last contractor. The customer hears this same story over and over about how the last guy did sub standard work and how great the new guy is.

The next guy "will" find fault with your work because it won't be done exactly the same way he would have done it. He may even blame you for work that was done 10 years before you got there.

Do the quality of work that makes you feel comfortable but don't expect any gold stars they stop giving those out after grammer school.

mdshunk

Do the quality of work that makes you feel comfortable but don't expect any gold stars they stop giving those out after grammer school.
Right! Especially since 90% of customers don't know the difference between a job well done, and job simply done. All most people know is that the light goes on when they flip the switch, or the machine runs when they hit GO.

Status
Not open for further replies.