This is strange

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's something a carpenter asked me about yesterday. I haven't gone to his house to look at the situation yet, but here it is: Whenever the pressure tank kicks on, his modem for internet resets itself, turns off and on. The modem is plugged into a surge protector and nothing else on the surge protector powers off and on again. He had an electrician come out who told him it was a modem problem and to get a new modem, but the new modem does the same thing. The house is and old hunting shack and the pressure tank is only 120v. It is not hard wired but plugged into a receptacle, so it's possible the p.t and modem are on the same circuit? Any ideas what would cause this to happen?

bphgravity

My guess...

When the pressure tank switch closes, voltage drop on the branch circuit, feeder, or service conductors causes the modem to shut-off due to low voltage. In less than a few cycles, the voltage is back to nominal and the modem resets.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would also check the outlet that the pump is plugged into. There may very well be a loose connection in there.

ceb58

The house is and old hunting shack and the pressure tank is only 120v. It is not hard wired but plugged into a receptacle, so it's possible the p.t and modem are on the same circuit? Any ideas what would cause this to happen?

I would also check the outlet that the pump is plugged into. There may very well be a loose connection in there.

Along with the contacts in the switch could be bad. The pump is probably pulling around 14 amps when running. My pump is duel voltage with a name plate rating of 14.7/ 7.4 amp.

stud696981

If everything checks out fine, have him try a small UPS. That would be cheaper then pulling a new circuit for the pump or modem.

hurk27

If everything checks out fine, have him try a small UPS. That would be cheaper then pulling a new circuit for the pump or modem.

Some single conversions will still brown out if the modem is that sensitive, some good line conditioners with voltage regulation will prevent brown outs, the triplett I have will go down to 50 volts before it drops, but they are not cheep.

Modem at a hunting shack? we didn't even have power at ours unless we ran a generator:cool::D

SG-1

Some single conversions will still brown out if the modem is that sensitive,...QUOTE]

If the UPS takes too long to switch to battery the modem may still reset, as you said.
A small inverter powered by a lawn mower battery & a small battery charger should work if the UPS does not. This way the "UPS" is non-switching.

hurk27

Some single conversions will still brown out if the modem is that sensitive,...QUOTE]

If the UPS takes too long to switch to battery the modem may still reset, as you said.
A small inverter powered by a lawn mower battery & a small battery charger should work if the UPS does not. This way the "UPS" is non-switching.

I agree, and this is called a dual conversion, which you can buy as a package, but I think the cost will out weigh the running of a new circuit, or checking if there is a bad connection. if we are talking about a telephone modem, why not spend $25.00 for a PCI slot mount one that would be powered by the computer, cable of DSL well your stuck.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
I have an old motion sensor light on my house that goes on whenever the A/C kicks in due to the momentary voltage drop. I haven't been able to get the PoCo to upgrade me to some 1/0 tri-plex, so I'm just living with it.

Sounds like he has a similar problem.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.