Threaded fittings

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I don't see a definition in Article 100.

Those definitions all use the term "raceway" so I don't see how they inform the "tubing vs conduit" debate. What NEC reference do you that rules out the "conduit is a synonym for raceway" interpretation?

Cheers, Wayne
You don't see it in article 100 because it is defined in their respective articles.

Of course they use the term "raceway" because "Conduit" or "Tubing" is already in their names, they are all raceways.

ritelec

Just reading this post on emt in slab and started thinking of a bunch of ROTTED emt, rigid conduit and boxes and FS boxes that where direct buried in earth decades ago that I'm working on (I'm convinced, only install plastic in earth).
I'm reading from a 2014 that is at the computer but I'm pretty sure this hasn't changed.
EMT 358.10 (B) corrosion protection. I'm reading it can ONLY be installed in concrete, earth when "protected by approved corrosion protection".

Confirming, all the bare emt I saw go into slabs was done wrong without this protection applied?

I did a google search and found some over the counter sprays from home depot, would they be considered "approved"
What are "approved coatings". Brush on spray on?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You don't see it in article 100 because it is defined in their respective articles.

Of course they use the term "raceway" because "Conduit" or "Tubing" is already in their names, they are all raceways.
And there are things that aren't conduit or tubing that are also raceways, like wireways.

Jake@01

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
In the past mostly on larger projects we would use pvc in the slab. However the "job specs "said to use ridig 90's. When we did this they were wrapped in corrosion resistant tape. This is common practice and I've done this many times. U just use pvc FA's on both sides of the "threaded rigid " 90 to convert back to pvc conduit.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA 21 Hours from Winged Horses wi
Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Engineer
If it said "conduits" it would mean EMT could not be used. EMT is not conduit, it is tubing and the engineer may be using the strict interpretation of conduit
It IS conduit. The term tubing comes from the plumbing industry, which predates the electrical industry. So if the first supplier of RMC for the electrical industry called it Electrical Rigid Pipe, and the second supplier who made the thinner stuff called it Intermediate Metal Conduit, we would still be having the argument "only IMC is conduit, the others are pipe or tubing"?:unsure: The NEC is just written with the common names of the products at the time.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
It IS conduit. The term tubing comes from the plumbing industry, which predates the electrical industry. So if the first supplier of RMC for the electrical industry called it Electrical Rigid Pipe, and the second supplier who made the thinner stuff called it Intermediate Metal Conduit, we would still be having the argument "only IMC is conduit, the others are pipe or tubing"?:unsure: The NEC is just written with the common names of the products at the time.
Sorry Frank but it is not by the NEC definition, you need to read the article sections I posted. I don't care where the terms started, the NEC recognizes the difference between conduit and tubing and so does UL for that matter. Now for those that are thinking I am arguing for the difference, I suggest going back to post #10, I said "the engineer may be using the strict interpretation of conduit".

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
If it said "conduits" it would mean EMT could not be used. EMT is not conduit, it is tubing and the engineer may be using the strict interpretation of conduit
What would be that strict interpretation? The NEC classifies it as a raceway (Article358).
What is the difference between conduit and tubing? Please don't tell me to read a bunch of code, just summarize it for me, OK?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
What would be that strict interpretation? The NEC classifies it as a raceway (Article358).
I would guess by their names RMC, IMC, EMT, notice it's not EMC, why would you think that's the case?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
What is the difference between conduit and tubing? Please don't tell me to read a bunch of code, just summarize it, OK?
As stated by Infinity, a wireway is also a raceway, would you think the designer recognizes that?

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Sorry Frank but it is not by the NEC definition
The NEC does not define the bare term "conduit". For a quick perusal it seems to use it to mean "any of the wiring methods in Chapter 3 with conduit in the name," because it uses phrase like "conduit or tubing" or "conduit or other raceway." However, that's just an inference, not a definition. To remove this ambiguity would require an Article 100 definition.

Cheers, Wayne

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The NEC does not define the bare term "conduit".
It doesn't define the bare term "tubing" either so by your reasoning RMC could be tubing. Hmmm, would you be available to help the OP argue his case?

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Just pointing out the difference between "common usage" vs a "definition." The common usage meaning seems to be that EMT is not conduit, although obviously there is not consensus on that. There are no definitions in the NEC that resolve the question.

Cheers, Wayne

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Just pointing out the difference between "common usage" vs a "definition." The common usage meaning seems to be that EMT is not conduit, although obviously there is not consensus on that. There are no definitions in the NEC that resolve the question.

Cheers, Wayne
You can look at the difference in UL categories (FJMX) for EMT and (DWFV) being conduit which covers IMC, RMC,FMC, etc..., EMT is not in this category. As I said I agree that in common usage EMT can be a conduit but technically it could be argued not to be.

Jake@01

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'm going to go install some" tubing " said no electrician ever. Ha ha, just joking. The NEC is great & full of rules and regulations we must follow however there's many gray areas. This is an argument that can go both ways. Call it tubing or conduit it really doesn't matter.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I'm going to go install some" tubing " said no electrician ever. Ha ha, just joking. The NEC is great & full of rules and regulations we must follow however there's many gray areas. This is an argument that can go both ways. Call it tubing or conduit it really doesn't matter.

Actually UL carries a lot of weight as far as products covered in the NEC and in arbitration or in a court room it would go a lot farther than opinions.

UL has published a lot of info of how it relates to the NEC.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Jake@01

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'm fully aware of UL & other approved listing's. My point was it's a dumb argument calling it conduit or tubing. As long as it's installed per nec it doesn't matter. It's a raceway that is installed and once it's complete u pull wire into it. U should be a lawer.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'm fully aware of UL & other approved listing's. My point was it's a dumb argument calling it conduit or tubing. As long as it's installed per nec it doesn't matter. It's a raceway that is installed and once it's complete u pull wire into it. U should be a lawer.

There is a difference but you're correct it doesn't matter much what we call it. In my next of the woods it's all called pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.