Thru Wall PTAC Unit Closet Clearance (Need Help)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolJames

If the ONLY way the manufacturer allows you to pull maintenance on the unit is to TURN IT OFF and pull it out of the closet then it won't be "energized" and the rule wouldn't apply anyway, would it?

Exactly, that's the point we are making, but he's stuck on the idea of having the small switch that's built inside the unit needs to have 36-inches in front of that. Makes no sense. The unit have to be disconnected at the source before anything can be done to it.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I think you are now suggesting that you want to modify a listed unit. I wonder what the inspector will think of that idea.

If you read back through the OP, the inspector wants them to do exactly that and get a NRTL to re-certify it.

CoolJames

I think it is a good option and perhaps he will allow you to move the switch to a wall outside the unit. Is that switch accessible from inside the closet? Sounds like the unit needs to be pulled from the outside-correct? If so is the switch accessible that way?

Yes, you are correct. In order to service the unit it needs to be disconnected from the source and not at the unit to be serviced. So, we suggested to put a disconnected outside the closet where you can disconnect service, so the unit can be pulled out to be serviced.

CoolJames

I agree here, especially cord-and-plug disconnect.

That said, every PTAC I've installed is cord-and-plug disconnect for a purpose - so that it can be pulled out of the sleeve, presumably for servicing as well as replacing.

Does removing it from the sleeve count as servicing?

And that closet install....wow

The closet install was based on the manufacturer's drawings. Since, it's a slim packaged vertical unit that's designed for the closet. Just like the ones you see in condos, high rise, etc. It's designed to be in the closet to keep the noise down and to be hidden from sight. The unit has to be disconnected before you can even do any service to it.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Yea, but we don't want to go down that road, so that option has been scratched.

Around here there is a Construction Board of Appeals. Each jurisdiction has one. Costs about $100 to file. Can also take about 3 months to go through the process with no guarantee of a positive outcome, but you could do this.

CoolJames

I'm envisioning a j-box, or 2-pole breaker, or otherwise afixed to the inside of the sleeve, and the unit makes contact when it slides in....?

I've never seen one like that, just trying to wrap my brain around something that's not cord-and-plug

We have discussed this option to be plug in type with the manufacturer and they informed us that we can connect a 6-30P, 6-30R to power the unit. Now at this point I have no other options, because I believe this inspector has something up his sleeve.

CoolJames

Around here there is a Construction Board of Appeals. Each jurisdiction has one. Costs about $100 to file. Can also take about 3 months to go through the process with no guarantee of a positive outcome, but you could do this.

We've thought about that option, but the client is breathing down our necks, because the tenants were supposed to move in last week.

CoolJames

Every unit I've ever seen is like you describe.

fwiw,
I just googled "hard wired ptac" and the results show a short flex with handy box on one end, sold as an "optional direct wire kit"

I wonder if this whole thing is as simple as instslling a factory cord back on the unit and plug it in

This is what we are proposing to them and hopefully the inspector would agree, but this guy is being very difficult to work with.

kwired

Electron manager
I think this would have been my first recourse. If you install a factory cord, does the switch get removed fron the unit?
I doubt it, and the inspector seems concerned over working clearance for that switch regardless of other means of disconnect being available.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I doubt it, and the inspector seems concerned over working clearance for that switch regardless of other means of disconnect being available.

I think we all need to pitch in a dollar a month to a general fund, and have guys named Vito and Guido pay some of these inspectors a nice visit....lol

kwired

Electron manager
I think we all need to pitch in a dollar a month to a general fund, and have guys named Vito and Guido pay some of these inspectors a nice visit....lol
If you are a member of NECA you would think that should be covered by your membership fees.:cool:

But then IAEI members probably feel similar about some of the contractors out there.

Then there are some that are confused and belong to both associations regardless of what their job is.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.