Time saving tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

hey_poolboy

Alright, I have a little $ that I would like to invest in some tool(s). I would like some recommendations on some of the most time saving tools you own or use.

I do mostly resi, and some light commercial.

I looked at one of these, but really don't see much time savings since I can drill up to 9' ceilings with just the drill.

I've also thought about stilts, things like that. Anyway, that's the type of stuff I was thinking of. Any and most ideas will be considered.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
hey_poolboy said:
I looked at one of these, but really don't see much time savings since I can drill up to 9' ceilings with just the drill.

You must be awfully tall. I would be lost without that milwaukee extension. It is a bit of a reach on 10' ceilings but it is great for 9' ceilings and for drilling down without getting on the floor or stooping.

I sometimes just keep getting it drilling the studs. I have had a few in my career and needless to say I love em.

MF Dagger

I just bought a milwaukee sub-compact drill for doing trim outs. The thing is awesome.
For service changes my Dad has a long tube thing with bearings that you attach your hole saw to the end of to keep it straight drilling through the roof. If anyone knows the name of that or where to locate one I would appreciate it.
Also a benfield miter box is pretty nice, not so much time saving as in my opinion a more quality installation. It holds flex so you can saw it straight through. You can use it on bigger gauge wire too to hold it for the hack saw if you don't have a ratchet cutter. The Milwaukee extension works pretty good, we haven't had the normal right angle out in a long time. My journeyman says that he worked with someone who had stilts and the guy flew at home runs and stuff. I usuall just walk on top in the attic. A wire reel helps but you can make that pretty easily with a couple scraps of wire and some chunks of 2x4. Nice sharp bits can save a ton of time. As can a good hole hawg.

macmikeman

Since you do commercial work, may I suggest one of these?-
GL-555R.jpg
They can really speed up a pipe job if you have a transport to the job method.

tmbrk

I've looked into getting a Fein super cut. A GC let me use his on a jobsite to cut in an outlet in a cabinet. What a great tool. It is expensive though and I probably wouldn't use it very often. But when you need it, you need it. And that's what it's all about, right?:smile:

ultramegabob

MF Dagger said:
For service changes my Dad has a long tube thing with bearings that you attach your hole saw to the end of to keep it straight drilling through the roof. If anyone knows the name of that or where to locate one I would appreciate it.

I have one, I just call it a risor jig, mine is made by Blackhawk Tools, but I dont think they make it any more. I have seen them for sale on ebay, but they didnt have the manufactures name.

MF Dagger

How about a trencher? I feel a ton of money is wasted having electricians hand dig trenches. Anyone figured out how long it took to make back their money on a trencher?

76nemo

buckofdurham said:
Do you have a bit that fits in a large hammer drill for driving ground rods?

NICE call buck, I was trying to think of my best response, but I read yours first, and for the $ and time they save, you have me beat hands down. Nice call;)

76nemo

What are you lacking Mike? If you're doing resi, what are you using for a wire spool? I have the EZ Spool and absolutely love it. Let me go get a pic or link unless Marc beats me to it. I think he has one as well. Definetly worth the money, they'll adapt to almost any spools of cable.

HighWirey

MF Dagger said:
How about a trencher? I feel a ton of money is wasted having electricians hand dig trenches. Anyone figured out how long it took to make back their money on a trencher?

Regardless of the amount of trenching you do, the payback on owning a trencher is never. A new trencher is great, after they start to decline, they will eat your lunch. Better to rent one.

Best Wishes Everyone

JohnJ0906

76nemo said:
What are you lacking Mike? If you're doing resi, what are you using for a wire spool? I have the EZ Spool and absolutely love it. Let me go get a pic or link unless Marc beats me to it. I think he has one as well. Definetly worth the money, they'll adapt to almost any spools of cable.

I think Marc has one's he made himself - he posted pictures of the a few months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.