Time saving tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
If you don't already have one ...

L11080316.jpg

I spend a lot of time traveling and this saves me time and stress.

ultramegabob

iwire said:
If you don't already have one ...

L11080316.jpg

I have been wanting to buy one for a while, I wish I had one last week, I had to take a detour around a road repair crew out in the county and got turned around, probly wasted a quarter tank of gas trying to get back on track..:mad:

mdshunk

iwire said:
Funny that you mention stress. I worked for a few years for a company several hours to my north, and all of their work (service) was in towns I'd never heard of before, let alone knew how to get around in. I used a trucker's atlas at the time. I never thought in a million years that not being able to navigate easily would cause the stress that it did. It really made me grumpy, and made the every-day small stresses seem amplified. This stress was the major factor contributing to my leaving that position. If they had these GPS gadgets then as they do now, I'd probably have never quit. To top it off, the dispatcher was a jerk and wouldn't even tell me something as simple as what highway or major road would get me headed in the right direction so that I could look for more specific directions when I got there. He just sat around smoking cigarettes and playing games on his computer all day anyhow.

Oh, something I learned that others might find helpful. Don't ever call the customer for directions. If you do, you're already an idiot before you've even arrived.

ItsHot

quarter of a tank

quarter of a tank

ultramegabob said:
I have been wanting to buy one for a while, I wish I had one last week, I had to take a detour around a road repair crew out in the county and got turned around, probly wasted a quarter tank of gas trying to get back on track..:mad:
A quarter of a tank will almost pay for one!:D

mdshunk

I had mine put in at a stereo shop. They rigged it so that it will mute the radio and play through the radio speakers when it needs to say something. Really helps with the road noise and all, to have the GPS playing though the radio speakers.

iwire

Staff member
ultramegabob said:
I had to take a detour around a road repair crew out in the county and got turned around, probly wasted a quarter tank of gas trying to get back on track..:mad:

I can't say it's perfect but boy is it good. Most times it will re-route me correctly. Once in a while it seems to get a particular route 'stuck' in it's electronic brain. When that happens I tell it to stop, they tell it to figure the best route from there.

It also knows where many businesses are, if I type in 'electrical' I will get all the businesses near me with that in the name, pretty handy to find the closest supply house it has the phone numbers as well.

I only paid $300 for mine and I am very happy with it. :smile:

ultramegabob

mdshunk said:
. Don't ever call the customer for directions. If you do, you're already an idiot before you've even arrived.

All I want from a customer is an address, customers directions usually amount to, "Which way are you coming from? Well, Take 350 W. to 780 S. then turn right on the third gravel road, you drive for a while, maybe ten minutes or so until you see horses, then turn right when you see the orange post, thats where you need to turn, drive until you see a house with a tire swing and thats my next door neighbor"...

iwire

Staff member
mdshunk said:
I never thought in a million years that not being able to navigate easily would cause the stress that it did. It really made me grumpy, and made the every-day small stresses seem amplified.

I agree 100%

A few weeks ago I had to go about 50 stores in CT for a survey, 20-30 minutes in each store.

Had it been with a map I would have hated it, with the GPS I enjoyed it. I went down roads I never have before, the scenery was great and the whole time I knew what time I would arrive at the next stop.

hey_poolboy

A GPS would be awesome. I very seldom need it, but it would sure be handy. Of course, even if I had one whenever I really needed it my wife would have it. :roll:

brian john

I learned a valuable GPS lesson on my recent trip to GA. Keep a map handy durn thing (gps) took me way out of the way twice to get to a location.

BUT they are invaluable for close in address finding.

Oh and Mapquest suggest a route that was over a 100 miles further that my common sense route. Like your voltage tester always check your Mapquest/Google Maps and GPS

electricalperson

the rack a tiers is another good tool to have. you can use them as a little work bench and they take up less room in the truck than jack stands. the rack a tiers company makes a lot of cool time saving tools

marcerrin

Another great tool is a milwawki hole hawg wit the really long handle. i've heard them called a "long tom". I can't seem to find any info about it on the net. If someone else knows what I'm talking about please fill me in.

ultramegabob

marcerrin said:
Another great tool is a milwawki hole hawg wit the really long handle. i've heard them called a "long tom". I can't seem to find any info about it on the net. If someone else knows what I'm talking about please fill me in.

I think you are talking about a Milwaukee Super Hole Hawg.

220/221

The Pipe Viper video was sketchy. The bend didn't look too smooth to me and when they cut away from a video, I ALWAYS suspect shenanigans.

tmbrk

hey_poolboy said:
A GPS would be awesome. I very seldom need it, but it would sure be handy. Of course, even if I had one whenever I really needed it my wife would have it. :roll:

GPSs are some of the best things I ever invested in. We do service work in a wide area so we drive all over the place. It already has all gas stations and restaurants programmed in and I entered all supply houses and home centers (Lowes,HD,Menards). It is the best for getting in and out of those subdivisions that seem to go on forever. When my wife and I flew down to Florida we brought one and used it in the rental car.

Cons: New developements don't show up. Sometimes it does take you out of your way but nowhere near as bad as mapquest. Just make sure the settings are set the way you want them to be.(ie.,shortest route vs. shortest time)

Status
Not open for further replies.