Time saving tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
hey_poolboy said:
Alright, I have a little $ that I would like to invest in some tool(s). I would like some recommendations on some of the most time saving tools you own or use.

I do mostly resi, and some light commercial.

I looked at one of these, but really don't see much time savings since I can drill up to 9' ceilings with just the drill.

I've also thought about stilts, things like that. Anyway, that's the type of stuff I was thinking of. Any and most ideas will be considered.

They work *great*. We call ours 'MOAD', for 'Mother Of All Drills', 'Big Moe' for short. Used with a self starting auger bit and a drill stop they are amazingly fast.

Rawls007

electricalperson said:
how do you remove it out of the pipe? personally i wouldnt bend pvc without a heat box or blanket

those tight bends might be a little tough to pull around too

I've got a piece of romex looped thru the end to pull it out. The bends are a little tight but still manageable as long as the runs aren't too complicated.

hey_poolboy

I can't bring myself to get the viper. As long as the weather is halfway warm I just bend PVC with my regular bender. You can't get 90's, but offsets and such are fine. You just have to overbend and hold it for a few seconds.

220/221

I RARELY have to pull out the torch anymore for PVC. I just use 90's and cut them down if I need 45's or whatever.

e57

MF Dagger said:
How about a trencher? I feel a ton of money is wasted having electricians hand dig trenches. Anyone figured out how long it took to make back their money on a trencher?
Due to the shear economics of scale in my area - no electrician would be caught dead digging a trench - or for that matter many other tasks no one would pay ME to do. Much cheaper to hire laborers to do that - or offer the cost savings to the customer by keeping NIC.

As for tools - the first post had it.... The extendo-drill has my bet in 3rd, behind a carbid hole cutter set for KO's, and the winner being a decent line level to blase out layout time. David White will reduce the expense of Hilti without a compromise in quality of the line...

I think in forth place would be a good TDR unit or tracer - only in this placement due to cost and daily use...

Status
Not open for further replies.