Time saving tools

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two 12" medical forceps that I carry with me. One has a straight end and the other has a loop end that also lock down. These have come in very handy and save me a lot of time grabbing fishtapes, wires, dealing with walkerduct, etc.

220/221

for cutting holes in panels I use a uni-bit and either my ratchet or hydrolic knock out kit.

This is where the carbide holesaws save time.

The unibit has to work very hard and take out a LOT of material. This uses battery power and takes time.

With the KO punch, you still have to drill a hole so you might as well drill it to the proper size and be done.

I haven't found a hole saw that will effectivly drill a 2" or larger hole in an enclosure so I need to drag out the punch set for those.

roger3829

ultramegabob said:
Its nice to have a power inverter on the truck, mine is 2000 watts, i wish It was just a little bit bigger, I can run about any tool I need to with it except for my heat gun and some circular saws.

Power inverter is the way to go.

Charges the batteries for cordless tools while driving in between jobs.

Runs most tools.

Good for short term temp lighting power while you are working.

wirebender

roger3829 said:

Runs most tools.

I'd like to get one for just that reason. Any recommendations on brands or a website to buy from?

ultramegabob

wirebender said:
I'd like to get one for just that reason. Any recommendations on brands or a website to buy from?

mine is a coleman, but I believe it is made by Vector, Im very happy with it, other than I wish it was a little larger. I bought it on ebay. mine is 2000 watts, if I bought another one, I would pay a little more and get a 3000 watt.

Last edited:

Rampage_Rick

roger3829 said:

Runs most tools.

I've got a kW unit with jumper cables attached. I've used it for the aforementioned uses, plus a few more. During a 3-day outage I kept it running 24/7 off an electric golf cart. Just the essentials: lights, 36" TV, and satellite receiver. One cart is good for about 12 hours, 3 hours per battery. Cleaner than a generator in more ways than one. If it came down to it I've got a fleet of 80 to burn through...

Oh, and Dewalt makes a nice 12V battery charger (DW9109)

410GQJ3K0PL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

wirebender said:

Stat-power (now Xantrex) They're located pretty close to here. Bought mine at Costco around 8 years ago. AFAIK they make a large portion of the entire market.

iaov

I just bought the new Milwaukee cordless driver. Small, light,powerfull. Battery charges in less than an hour and lasts most of the day. Its taken a couple of falls off the ladder already with no damage. Bits change easy. I love it.:smile:

roger3829

wirebender said:

American Van, NorthernTool websites both have them. Don't remember where I got mine. Try a google search.

I have it installed behind the passenger seat, hard wired to the battery. It has a two wire remote on/off that I connected to a 60 minute spring wound timer. (after I left it on overnite and woke to a dead battery a couple of times)

I cut a box into the steel divider in the van for a duplex, strapped down 2 dewalt chargers to the step, covered them with a sheet of plastic to keep stuff from falling in them when the batteries were out.

It also is good for charging cell phones.........

ultramegabob

I didnt mount mine in my truck, I made leads for it out of welding cable and crimped on some jumper cable clamps. I bought a big padded lap top computer bag at a rummage sale to carry it in. I left it portable to use for recreacational activities.

roger3829

ultramegabob said:
I didnt mount mine in my truck, I made leads for it out of welding cable and crimped on some jumper cable clamps. I bought a big padded lap top computer bag at a rummage sale to carry it in. I left it portable to use for recreacational activities.

I try not to confuse work tools with play tools.

For recreational activities I have a Honda 3kw generator. Lightweight and SUPER quiet. You could put a piece of plywood on it and play cars.:smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.