Too many outlets

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
In the 2023 NEC 220.14 (J) moved to 220.41 in part III, but 220.10 references it.
So part II is now sending you to part III to calculate the branch circuit.
Because of the broad wording in 220.41(1) "All general use receptacle outlets of 20-ampere rating or less"...
That would cover all receptacle outlets.
What is the significance of the added reference to "minimum load" that was added in 2020 ?
I think that hints at lighting load not specified in 210.70 are not included.

MyCleveland

In the 2023 NEC 220.14 (J) moved to 220.41 in part III, but 220.10 references it.
Because of the broad wording in 220.41(1) "All general use receptacle outlets of 20-ampere rating or less"...

I only raise the question because honestly NEVER had a home owner or apartment developer ever ask for EXTRA anything.

Part III for feeder and services, 220.41 still references the minimum unit load. I suppose I am reading if a minimum exists, then something should trigger you going over that minimum calculation.

Thanks for responding.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

All general use receptacle outlets. The laundry and small appliance branch circuit receptacle outlets are not general use receptacle outlets.

Since most of the rules in 210.70 say "at least one lighting outlet" pretty much all lighting outlets are included.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Since most of the rules in 210.70 say "at least one lighting outlet" pretty much all lighting outlets are included.
I have herd some argue that a lighting outlet controlled by a control device in addition to the one required for that room or is controlled from another room is not included in the 3va since its not required by 210.70, and not part of the minimum load, like say a kitchen with several banks of lights, only the first switch is part of the minimum. There are a few other locations that come to mind:
  • Where the wall-mounted control device is not located near an entrance to the room or on a wall. Such as a bath vanity or kitchen task lighting.
  • An exterior lighting outlet not installed to provide illumination on the exterior side of outdoor entrances or exits with grade-level access, such as yard security lights, yard lighting, landscape lighting or pool lights.
  • A exterior lighting outlet installed over one or more vehicle doors.
  • Closet lighting
However, its probably insignificant and in practice can be ignored..