Torque or else !

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
As Hal mentions, even during any deliberations be sure to start lien procedures before any time limitations, this might simply be writing a letter.

Roger
I just want to add to this because I went through the lien process in NJ in 2018. I was lucky enough to file within the time limit. I didn't know at the time but you can only file a lien within 90 days after the LAST DAY you worked on the jib. Again, luckily in my case, I was given a check by the GC and asked to wait until the following week to deposit it. Well next week became next week, became next week, and then became next month. I finally met with my lawyer who told me to deposit the check - it bounced and I filed the lien. I was finally paid 6 months later but it cost me $1500 to collect $15K

kwired

Electron manager
I just want to add to this because I went through the lien process in NJ in 2018. I was lucky enough to file within the time limit. I didn't know at the time but you can only file a lien within 90 days after the LAST DAY you worked on the jib. Again, luckily in my case, I was given a check by the GC and asked to wait until the following week to deposit it. Well next week became next week, became next week, and then became next month. I finally met with my lawyer who told me to deposit the check - it bounced and I filed the lien. I was finally paid 6 months later but it cost me $1500 to collect $15K
That is only 10%, if you hired a collection agency they take at least 40% of whatever they do collect, and if customer pays you instead of collection agency they still come after you for their 40%

Ed simon

New User
Occupation
Electrician
No disagreement with any of that.
Just a passing thought or two. How much would it cost to torque the connections, placate the recalcitrant customer, and get paid? How much in comparison with what is owed? How much would cost and how much time would it require to take legal action against him? In short, is it worth the aggravation?

Please understand, I think the customer, in this case, is totally wrong and unethical. And there is no remaining issue to be resolved - except getting paid.
Sometimes planning on the electrician gets complacent and the main lugs in the panel dont get torgued , it is normal practice to torgue large gear always. In this case i believe the homeowner wants his moneys worth. Thats all.

Status
Not open for further replies.