turn off the news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rewire

first rule to be a successful business ,turn off the news. Do you let the negativity of the news affect your decisions in business or do you focus on where you are at to make those decisions

kwired

Electron manager
first rule to be a successful business ,turn off the news. Do you let the negativity of the news affect your decisions in business or do you focus on where you are at to make those decisions
I find this advice somewhat important just to be able to wake up in the morning regardless of what business has been like:happyyes:

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Just looking In my business book Rule number one read the "wall street journal" cover to cover daily.:roll:

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I think you misread my post I said "turn off" the news as in TV not dont read the wall street journal.
Well
Considering that everything that is happening in this world Indirectly has an effect on our businesses and our customers mood and job security, I do not believe it is a good idea to shut off the news,What happens when your men go out and give prices for the work and because you decided to shut yourself out of the news loop and the price of gas went up a $1 per gallon and the price of copper doubled,,There are many,many reasons to stay on top of whats going on especially if you are running a business.

So I would give your new strategy a lot more thought.:)

iwire

Staff member
Well
Considering that everything that is happening in this world Indirectly has an effect on our businesses and our customers mood and job security, I do not believe it is a good idea to shut off the news,What happens when your men go out and give prices for the work and because you decided to shut yourself out of the news loop and the price of gas went up a $1 per gallon and the price of copper doubled,,There are many,many reasons to stay on top of whats going on especially if you are running a business.

:thumbsup:

stevenje

Well

System overload. That is how much news we are bombarded with every minute of every hour. It is non stop. 24/7/365. The secret is to filter out what you need. The rest is just garbage. Staying informed should always be a part of every business plan.

Rewire

Well

What do you believ the primary purpose of the news is?

kwired

Electron manager
Well

I usually find out the price of gas or copper went up at time of purchase whether I seen/heard it in the news or not. I don't need a news outlet to find out things like that.

I think the thing we need to avoid is watching CNN, MSNBC, and other 24/7 news media - even talk radio that primarily get involved in the news. They only bring you down on your optimism of the future. There will be good times in the future. There will also be bad times in the future. Those two statements have always been true, and likely always will be.

Reading the newspaper or catching the evening news on TV or radio gets you caught up with major events, but they don't have the time on those programs to sit there and analyze things and bring everyone's hopes down - they just simply present what has happened and move on to next story. If something is of big enough concern to you, you have to look into it yourself to get more info.

Rewire

I dont make decisions in my business based on the news /i make those decisions based on where I am at. The news is not about informing people the news is a business and it is about making money. What "sells" in news is negative news we dont watch to see fuzzy bunnies hopping down the beach we watch to see those bunnies covered in oil because a tanker ran aground.A prime example is which do you here more that we have 8% unemployment or that we have 92% employment?

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I dont make decisions in my business based on the news /i make those decisions based on where I am at. The news is not about informing people the news is a business and it is about making money. What "sells" in news is negative news we dont watch to see fuzzy bunnies hopping down the beach we watch to see those bunnies covered in oil because a tanker ran aground.

A prime example is which do you here more that we have 8% unemployment or that we have 92% employment?

No neither number tells the story about those who do not have full time jobs.

First lets look at the workplace participation rate from the department of labor as you can clearly see 63.5% of the available workforce is fully employed.
So that means 36.5% of the available work force is not working for many reasons so we do not have 91.9% Employment

Second the number you used is called the U-3 number It is being used as the official Unemployment rate Which is 8.1% as of August 2012 ,This number represents those who have recently lost their jobs and are presently collecting Unemployment insurance and are considered "looking for work" ,But that does not tell us about those who have been Unemployed long enough to run out of Unemployment insurance ,When that happens these people are excluded from the U-3 number and labeled discouraged workers "no longer Looking for work",The U-6 number includes those people that have use up all of their Unemployment Insurance and gives us a better idea of how the economy is doing That number is 14.7% as of August 2012 .

These numbers effect our bottom line because the higher the number of people are collecting Unemployment the higher the cost of Federal Unemployment Insurance and the same goes for the state Unemployment Insurance rates we have to pay as well.

I agree that most of the news is negative,But as Businessmen we must stay on top of it all because it effects our businesses and our customers.,If our customers do not feel secure in their jobs they are going to pull back and not spend the money they otherwise would if their view of their own future looked better.

I'll bet many of the business owners here also invest in the stock-market Well if you Turn off the news how are you going to be able to make an informed decision on buying or selling your stocks.

So in my opinion you are taking the most important tool in your Tool box and throwing away and leaving your self open to things that can put you out of business if you are unprepared because you allowed yourself to become uninformed .:)

Rewire

No neither number tells the story about those who do not have full time jobs.

First lets look at the workplace participation rate from the department of labor as you can clearly see 63.5% of the available workforce is fully employed.
So that means 36.5% of the available work force is not working for many reasons so we do not have 91.9% Employment

Second the number you used is called the U-3 number It is being used as the official Unemployment rate Which is 8.1% as of August 2012 ,This number represents those who have recently lost their jobs and are presently collecting Unemployment insurance and are considered "looking for work" ,But that does not tell us about those who have been Unemployed long enough to run out of Unemployment insurance ,When that happens these people are excluded from the U-3 number and labeled discouraged workers "no longer Looking for work",The U-6 number includes those people that have use up all of their Unemployment Insurance and gives us a better idea of how the economy is doing That number is 14.7% as of August 2012 .

These numbers effect our bottom line because the higher the number of people are collecting Unemployment the higher the cost of Federal Unemployment Insurance and the same goes for the state Unemployment Insurance rates we have to pay as well.

I agree that most of the news is negative,But as Businessmen we must stay on top of it all because it effects our businesses and our customers.,If our customers do not feel secure in their jobs they are going to pull back and not spend the money they otherwise would if their view of their own future looked better.

I'll bet many of the business owners here also invest in the stock-market Well if you Turn off the news how are you going to be able to make an informed decision on buying or selling your stocks.

So in my opinion you are taking the most important tool in your Tool box and throwing away and leaving your self open to things that can put you out of business if you are unprepared because you allowed yourself to become uninformed .:)

Why stay on top of negative news? Why would you run your business on negative news? The news is one tool that I dont need to make decisions in my business or those decisions would all be influenced on negativity and that is the worst thing to base a decision on. I base decisions on where I am at and where I want to be .

I make my decisions on stock purchases on researching the company not the nightly news.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Why stay on top of negative news? Why would you run your business on negative news? The news is one tool that I dont need to make decisions in my business or those decisions would all be influenced on negativity and that is the worst thing to base a decision on. I base decisions on where I am at and where I want to be .

I make my decisions on stock purchases on researching the company not the nightly news.
That's great Good luck.:hug:

kwired

Electron manager
I know people that have CNN tuned in practically all day long - they are worried about everything.

It is ok to hear what has happened but to listen to all the commentary on stations like that is not good for you, it raises the blood pressure and increases stress - something many of us have enough problems with.

Status
Not open for further replies.