Uf wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

growler

If inspector required box installed at roughin inspection instead of hole in plywood with NM tail, would that help?

I have no idea why they don't require a box installed at rough inspection but for some reason they let it go. If you do install a metal box they will want to see the box grounded at rough.

I looked at a job the other day where they had plastic boxes ( 4" square ) and metal blank covers and the inspector didn't catch it but I advised them to get plastic 4 square covers because the next inspector may notice when he comes back for re-inspection.

I have never installed a fixture directly on the siding and always use either flush or surface mounted box. It can cost a litttle more and take more time.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
i think this was discussed before in the past too, and some mentioned just to use a chase nipple so that NM-B was not exposed outside the wall.

I have never installed a fixture directly on the siding and always use either flush or surface mounted box. It can cost a litttle more and take more time.
whats the diff between the two ??

GerryB

I have no idea why they don't require a box installed at rough inspection but for some reason they let it go. If you do install a metal box they will want to see the box grounded at rough.

I looked at a job the other day where they had plastic boxes ( 4" square ) and metal blank covers and the inspector didn't catch it but I advised them to get plastic 4 square covers because the next inspector may notice when he comes back for re-inspection.

One time I put the romex in a pancake box and screwed it to the plywood. I made the whole big, maybe an inch, and told the siders "you can take the box off and adjust it to you're siding". When I came back the pancake box was just screwed to the siding with the hole just big enough for the wire:dunce:

JFletcher

If a connection goes bad wire size would not matter. It would still heat up if it became loose.

True. The fixtures here have plenty of room to act as a j-box, tho I dont know that any are rated for such. Then there are lights that barely have enough room for the fixture wires let alone any NM or wirenuts.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
One time I put the romex in a pancake box and screwed it to the plywood. I made the whole big, maybe an inch, and told the siders "you can take the box off and adjust it to you're siding". When I came back the pancake box was just screwed to the siding with the hole just big enough for the wire:dunce:

seen that often

also they take the box off, I've found them thrown out in yard

Status
Not open for further replies.