Underground 4/0-4/0-2/0 aluminum service wire

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
IDK, if you go by what the code states....If it is USE the code has no exception for other types of insulation. I agree with you that it is bogus but....
Did the OP actually say it was USE cable or is that an assumption based on direct burial?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The only rhw wire I have seen was USE also. I may be wrong but if I am correct then that is what the inspector is calling out. I didn't think rhw alone could be used a direct burial.

Occupation
electrical contractor
I will get you pictures shortly The rating on this wire is 90C 600V 2 hr fire rated and needs no conduit even though we install it through the LB and 8 inches from there directly into the service panel this was a spec based on the 2017 NEC. The other thing; we complied with the inspectors other request and pulled that out and install three wire 2/0 copper and he violated that also see picture

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
As Wayne said, the no raceway is your problem. Individual conductors must be in an approved raceway on or within the building.

I'm having a hard time believing an "electrical contractor" would not know this? Sounds like a GC doing their own wiring.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
As Wayne said, the no raceway is your problem. Individual conductors must be in an approved raceway on or within the building.

I'm having a hard time believing an "electrical contractor" would not know this? Sounds like a GC doing their own wiring.
Yeah, that’s where the problem is, but I thought surely not, a licensed electrical contractor would know better.

Yeah, that’s where the problem is, but I thought surely not, a licensed electrical contractor would know better.
I reread some of the OP"s description and it seems like it's all in conduit above grade to me.

The quote Wayne captured appears to say it just in a lb, and not physically connected the the panel?
Yeah maybe but why are we assuming the LB doesn't connect to the panel? Besides he says this:
This a single family home meter is on the house and right behind is the service panel insi the underground wire as mentioned comes up in conduit to meter box and we had the same wire go from top of meter box in conduit direct in to service panel

The OP's comment about "needs no conduit" and the the inspector citing 300.3 and 300.18 sure makes it seem like the conductors are not in a complete raceway system from meter to service panel.
I assumed the "no conduit" is the underground part, but yes it has been difficult to follow the description. It does not seem that the wire is rated for direct bury / type USE, particularly the
mention of xhhw.

Occupation
electrical contractor
I guess you never came up with a definite conclusion? I said this wire is crush proof underground wire and nothing we found in the 2017 code other then what this idiot Chief electrical inspector said we can not use to tie into the main breaker box . What about the 3 wire 2/0 copper we changed through which I sent you a picture?

Occupation
electrical contractor
Here is the picture of the 2/0 copper 3 wire and he turned this down as well

Attachments

• Demell 2 0tt 3 wire install in service panel  reeised.jpg
    Demell 2 0tt 3 wire install in service panel reeised.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 44