Unique Tips And Tricks

Sberry

Occupation
farmer electrician
Had one recent in mobile, was simple as it was a daisey chain designed as absolutely as dumb as it could be, followed it backwards to first non working outlet. Could see a zillion arc strikes on backstab.
Another not too long ago, tested to ground but not white (I hate to say neutral) ha. But went to the panel and sure as sheet, 2 wires under the screw. I mention it,,, simple code violation by handyman installer.

ammklq143

Occupation
Electrician
This is one of my old ones that needs repair, but fastening a fishing reel to a slingshot and tying a smooth weight to the fishing line allows you to shoot across suspended ceilings. Less tiles removed and less trips up and down the ladder. You can tell your apprentice to pop a tile out on the other side of the room so he can stick his head up there and watch for it. Lol.

tempImage4hhgiC.jpg

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
I have a good one for you electronic/amp guys... intstead of the 15$ solder remover for circuit board terms, go to the "baby" aisle at the grocery store and get some baby nasal aspirators.. works great! $2... 20231031_143720.jpg

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
If you ever get a hole in your gas tank, you can rub a bar of Ivory soap back and forth over the hole a bunch of times and it will plug it temporarily. Gas does not dissolve Ivory soap.
Old mechanics' trick: If you have a small radiator leak, try pouring in a bunch of ground black pepper. I did that with my old 1967 Econoline back in the day and I drove it for years without doing anything else about the leak. Every time I raised the engine cover it smelled like I was cooking gumbo, though. :D

ggunn

Occupation
This is one of my old ones that needs repair, but fastening a fishing reel to a slingshot and tying a smooth weight to the fishing line allows you to shoot across suspended ceilings. Less tiles removed and less trips up and down the ladder. You can tell your apprentice to pop a tile out on the other side of the room so he can stick his head up there and watch for it. Lol.

View attachment 2566622
You could actually go fishing with that rig. :D

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
Old mechanics' trick: If you have a small radiator leak, try pouring in a bunch of ground black pepper. I did that with my old 1967 Econoline ...
Old mechanic's trick: Stop at the auto-parts store, spend a few bucks, and get something that's compatible with modern materials. I have successfully used the flaky aluminum-colored stuff in the past. (I have also drained & removed a radiator, soldered the leaks, replaced & refilled it, and went to work again the next morning. Yes, I was younger, stronger and poorer then)

By the way ... it's not just for automotive cooling systems:

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
In theater/production work, it's called a "courtesy tab", and belongs on anything you're likely to un-tape soon. I probably wouldn't do that on anything "permanent".
I was taught they were called apprentice tabs.

Mark

ggunn

Occupation
Old mechanic's trick: Stop at the auto-parts store, spend a few bucks, and get something that's compatible with modern materials. I have successfully used the flaky aluminum-colored stuff in the past. (I have also drained & removed a radiator, soldered the leaks, replaced & refilled it, and went to work again the next morning. Yes, I was younger, stronger and poorer then)

By the way ... it's not just for automotive cooling systems:
The trick with the black pepper to stop a minor radiator leak was actually told to me by an old mechanic, and it worked. :D

Sea Nile

Occupation
Electrician
🤔 As cheap as it is to buy radiator stop leak products and Walmarts all over the place, why would anyone opt to use home remedies for a leaky radiator❓