Unique Tips And Tricks

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I've found out newer radios don't come back on after they loose power. I had to find an old one.
When I used to use a radio for that, I had to replace a missing radio and bought a new one. I ran my legs off from outlet to panel several times before I realized the radio would not come back on by itself when power was restored!

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
When I was doing more service call, I have used long screwdriver to my ear to find the buzzing breaker, then I bought a stethoscope to make it easier.

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
If I'm on rooftops or out in a field cutting a large amount of stuff I love my 120v sawzall...
Years ago I started cutting cords off of thrown out vacuum cleaners and slapping them on my plug in stuff. Longer is better than those 3' cords they put on them...
BTW, battery's won't charge after being in the (az) sun...

macmikeman

If you need to push a fish tape in to a live panel, get a rigid coupling of the pipe size. Put a bell pug in the end and screw it on the conduit threads inside the panel. When you push, the fish tape will stop at the bell plug. Take the coupling off and you have 2" of fish tape to pull in. Of course, none of us here would EVER open a panel that is hot, let alone pull wire in to one... but...

This was an idea I got from E C and M mag years ago. Credit where credit is due.

Even better is putting a male terminal adaptor into the other side of the coupling instead of a plug, and some Smurf tube glued into the terminal adaptor , long enough to clear the bottom of the panel. That way the fish tape doesn't connect itself up to the power company by accident.........

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
If you want to keep from breaking or bending an arbor bit again when the bit goes through and the hole saw grabs, place a fender washer (larger than the hole saw) over the bit. when the pilot bit goes through, the hole saw grabs the fender washer and spins it. Simply place the fender washer back in your pouch and finish cutting the hole. You'll never break or bend another bit.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
If you want to keep from breaking or bending an arbor bit again when the bit goes through and the hole saw grabs, place a fender washer (larger than the hole saw) over the bit. when the pilot bit goes through, the hole saw grabs the fender washer and spins it. Simply place the fender washer back in your pouch and finish cutting the hole. You'll never break or bend another bit.
Never saw a 2" or 3" fender washer with a 1/4" hole.
Seems the washer would eventually dull the hole saw.

If I think drilling the pilot hole will be a problem, I either get another 1/4" bit or take the pilot bit out, and drill the pilot hole. Now, either put the pilot bit back, or if using a separate bit, place the pilot bit in the hole and finish cutting through with the hole saw.

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
Never saw a 2" or 3" fender washer with a 1/4" hole.
Seems the washer would eventually dull the hole saw.

If I think drilling the pilot hole will be a problem, I either get another 1/4" bit or take the pilot bit out, and drill the pilot hole. Now, either put the pilot bit back, or if using a separate bit, place the pilot bit in the hole and finish cutting through with the hole saw.
The hole in the fender washer doesn't have to be 1/4", the outer diameter of the fender washer just needs to be larger than the hole saw. This is just a tip, a timesaver so you don't have to keep changing bits or removing the hole saw each time. You'll be surprised at how quickly you can cut multiple holes and never have to worry about your hole saw hanging up on the metal. :)

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
The hole in the fender washer doesn't have to be 1/4", the outer diameter of the fender washer just needs to be larger than the hole saw. This is just a tip, a timesaver so you don't have to keep changing bits or removing the hole saw each time. You'll be surprised at how quickly you can cut multiple holes and never have to worry about your hole saw hanging up on the metal. :)
Agreed, I know what you mean and I have done it.

Garry Fowler

New User
Occupation
Electrician
When troubleshooting a circuit with a direct short circuit to either neutral or ground, it's difficult to find the fault because you can't keep the power on long enough to look, so the only other way to find the offending undesired connection is visually, box by box.

I typically use a rubber socket with a 150-watt bulb screwed into it, and wire it in series with the problem circuit at the panel. I disconnect the circuit's hot wire from the breaker terminal, connect the socket's black wire to the breaker, and wire-nut the circuit's hot wire to the socket's white wire.
leviton-lamp-accessories-124-d-a0_1000.jpg
With the high-wattage bulb in series with the circuit, the breaker will stay on because the most current that can flow is that of the bulb, so it acts as a current limiter. It also functions as an indicator, steady bright for a direct short, flickering for an arcing fault, etc., with you or a helper watching it.
Maybe a stupid question. I have always just tracked the shorts down visually. What are you doing to find them with power on?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Maybe a stupid question. I have always just tracked the shorts down visually. What are you doing to find them with power on?
Often, you can find an intermittent short by wiggling receptacles while you or a helper (or you with a light in an extension cord so you can watch it from the trouble area by wiring in a receptacle instead) watch the light.

A few years ago, I had a troubleshoot for an intermittent short in a house old enough to have rigid conduit in the basement ceiling. I connected my bulb and socket as above, and it flickered, mostly bright. I traced the basement ceiling conduit to a J-box, and separated the outgoing hots.

One at a time, I reconnected each hot until one produced the same flickering. I then traced that line to an NM cable going up through the floor near the front door. I went to the foyer and found a surface-mounted Wiremold box with a cat-urine-soaked receptacle that was actually glowing internally.

Sberry

Occupation
farmer electrician
People are often asked about the year of their cars but got a funny look when I asked about year of house. With many spec built and modular or mobile a guy can figure out how it was wired, under which code cycle especially during the advent of gfci, changes in kitchen and bath, etc