Unique Tips And Tricks

scrubbin

Occupation
Maintenance Tech
You can't forget to remember to fold over the last 1/4" of electrical tape when your done wrapping up a connection. So if needed you can find the end to unwrap it. :)

norcal

In theater/production work, it's called a "courtesy tab", and belongs on anything you're likely to un-tape soon. I probably wouldn't do that on anything "permanent".
I have heard it as a courtesy flag, but it's nice to leave one on any roll of tape, it's like putting a dab of plumbers grease on a faucet stem before you put the handle back on, makes life easier for you, or whoever follows you.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Flemish Eye

Certainly not my creation, but more of a forgotten skill. You don't really need the swedged on collar, the strength is all in the weave. You can use tape to keep from getting stuck by one of the wires.

View attachment 2566079

I like using them because they always seem to upset some loudmouth A Whole
Even looks relatively easy to make, at least compared to linear or interwoven splices I have seen.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I don't keep them in conduit. Mine are "glow rods" and they need the clear tube they came in for the light to charge the rods.

garbo

and this along with an incandescent bulb are very helpful in troubleshooting

View attachment 2566089
The lamp adapter is great when painting rooms at night. Can remember what an old timer told me many years ago. The light from a 60 watt incandescent lamp that I used 40 years earlier for some reason does not appear to produce as much light as an 100 watt lamp today. Remember lamps go into luminares and bulbs go into the ground.( Or so one of my old inspectors told us ).

OldBroadcastTech

Occupation
Retired Broadcast Technician
Same hear, but I haven't seen beeswax in a hardware store in decades. Now they sell it as a health food or cosmetic item, so it's too expensive to screw around with...

(like what I did there?)
Check with a local beekeeper. We save the wax off combs and melt it down to be made into new 'foundation' sheets, or to sell at Farmer's Markets.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
Same hear, but I haven't seen beeswax in a hardware store in decades. Now they sell it as a health food or cosmetic item, so it's too expensive to screw around with...

(like what I did there?)

norcal

If you keep fishing rods in a PVC pipe, (and who doesn't?) make an extra-long cap so there's no need to turn it upside down to select one.

View attachment 2566173

A few weeks ago. On a shovel handle.
I like the idea, have some where the OEM supplied holder went to crap, the same type supplied with some brazing rod did the same, my 6' Stabila level is in a piece of ABS DWV pipe, wish I had done that way but ABS fittings have gotten stupid expensive.

RustyShackleford

Occupation
electrical engineer
I came across a little widget that produces a horrible whining sound when connected to 120vac. So I attached a plug to it, and it's useful for determining which breaker controls a certain outlet.

Sea Nile

Occupation
Electrician
I came across a little widget that produces a horrible whining sound when connected to 120vac. So I attached a plug to it, and it's useful for determining which breaker controls a certain outlet.
In the past I've used an extension cord that has the built in light at the end to let you know power is on. But a squawker would be quicker than running a cord through the house.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I once used a customer's shop-vac as an audible current-limiter with a faulted circuit.

The problem ended up being a dimmer with an internal short to the mounting plate.