Units of measurement

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Oh, I like Stouts, then Porters. But I won't turn down a Bass or Newcastle.
Ummmmmmmm... Porters... One of the best I have had recently is made here in Austin - Hops and Grain Porter Culture. Anchor Porter is my benchmark.

Carultch

While we are on the subject, why do we use 'L' for henries instead of H in the formula X(sub)L = 2 pi f L ?

L represents the concept of inductance. It is used in honor of Heinrich Lenz, who determined the negative sign in Faraday's law of induction, one of the working principles of a self-inductor.
H represents the Henry unit of inductance.

Adamjamma

but arent they both referencing the same person? Just the Henry refers to Heinrich, and the L refers to Lenz? The USA to the British??
Kinda like how we refer to a fender yet the british call it a wing... in both cases it came from the most popular swimsuit ads of the 40's ion magazines... well, thirties and forties...British ads were women on the wings of an airplane and American ads were women on the edge of a boat... so the flowing forms of the cars of the forties and fifties referred to the ads...

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
but arent they both referencing the same person? Just the Henry refers to Heinrich, and the L refers to Lenz? The USA to the British??
Kinda like how we refer to a fender yet the british call it a wing... in both cases it came from the most popular swimsuit ads of the 40's ion magazines... well, thirties and forties...British ads were women on the wings of an airplane and American ads were women on the edge of a boat... so the flowing forms of the cars of the forties and fifties referred to the ads...

No, the henry refers to Joseph Henry.

MAC702

So, at some point we will eventually switch to SI by “Force”?:D

Using the dark side:
1323629.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.