Use-2, rhw-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RESI

Is not wire rated USE-2/RHW-2 suitable for direct burial? I want to use this type cable going from a spa GFCI breaker box to the spa. I will use a different type of cable from the box to the customers main house panel.Thanks

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Is not wire rated USE-2/RHW-2 suitable for direct burial? I want to use this type cable going from a spa GFCI breaker box to the spa. I will use a different type of cable from the box to the customers main house panel.Thanks
It is, but remember that the EGC has to be insulated outdoors, not just covered by a cable jacket.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The way I read Bigjohn's post it can only be used direct buried as service entrance cable.

BigJohn20

The way I read Bigjohn's post it can only be used direct buried as service entrance cable.

Forgive me for sounding ignorant because I'm green as can be and I have a bunch to learn.

I don't know specifically about Cerrowire, but according to 338.10(B)(4)(b), it says type USE has to comply with Part II of 340, the section covering UF. Looking at II of 340, 340.10(1) lists it as acceptable for direct burial, following the requirements of 300.5.

So, judging from those sections, as a general statement, not valid in all instances, type USE is valid for direct burial. Am I on the right track here?

iwire

Staff member

Yes, in my opinion you can direct bury USE for services, feeders or branch circuits.

However, USE is not one of the wiring methods allowed by 680.21 (Branch circuits) or 680.25 (Feeders)

Status
Not open for further replies.