Violation or not ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
Do most of these pictures involve electrical contractors performing work, or simply 'walking past'?
my images were service calls, and were addresses, I never walk away from a potential fire or death hazard, that would be irresponsible and potentially criminal.

480sparky

Looks like there's a rogue wire on the far side of the device, between the bare ground and the bottom black wire. I see just a little bit of it, but now where it goes. Maybe it's just an excessive loop on the ground. If it is, then the ground wire would be looped CCW.

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
... at least they did not snip the grounding conductors. Some old timers liked to do that.:(
My dad (b.1932, no formal training) is like that, but with a curious variation:
He refuses to connect grounding conductors -- "It works just fine without it" -- but doesn't snip them off. He bends them back, wraps them around the outside of the cable jacket and tapes them out of the way, in case somebody else might want to use them at some point in the future.

In the distant past, I've asked his reasoning but never received a comprehensible answer. I suspect this practice originates either from a lot of years in Chicago, where EMT is required in residences, or his work in oil refineries, where vapor-tight rigid conduit and threaded cast conduit bodies are required, or his work with instrumentation and the many folk legends & fairy tales about ground wires and hum.

sparky1118

Occupation
Master Electrician
This was done in a new build. The company I used to work for was a father and two sons. They moved the door and one of the sons didn’t want to run a few new wires so he did this... however this is typical with this particular company

0aa26da63fbecdcc6d901c7afaab379f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sparky1118

Occupation
Master Electrician
I found this at a service call I went to. A bakery had a tripped breaker and couldn’t figure out why. Well it was fun trying to find the panel.

202d500c2d5a82182a48b24e9a288087.jpg

sparky1118

Occupation
Master Electrician
I found this beauty on a job I was working at. There was a stud in the way so someone cut half the box off to fit it

e85b9c9702080784227547b3f78b447b.jpg

sparky1118

Occupation
Master Electrician
This one I can only pray was done by a homeowner. In a finished basement they used 5/8” strapping to secure the Sheetrock to. So they didn’t have room for a box and used a low voltage ring

7d36b28d1fb4d53efd916a0805856ea6.jpg

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Hello Sparky, sorry to be a stickler, great images but it's tough to comment on a specific image. are you able to add 1 at a time with a brief comment for us to reply too. Thanks.
You can also click on a photo and then right click on a single image, insert it into a post then comment on it. Or you can do several at a time with comments before/after each photo.
2a4c5225c8f8ba0ff7f5c1512f59ded7.jpg

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I've posted this one before but still get a kick out of it.

1590351295146.png

Roger

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I found this at a service call I went to. A bakery had a tripped breaker and couldn’t figure out why. Well it was fun trying to find the panel.

Clearly those cardboard boxes should not have been stored in the working space in front of the panel. And at least the pipe is not a violation of the dedicated space for the panel. :)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I did not know that. Is that from the manufacturer, UL, ... ?
Apparently, I used to be right, but now I'm wrong.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
This ran a floodlight mounted at the end of a porch. They took the receptacle and box out, and covered it with a 2”x4” piece of plywood( painted to match the wall. LOL! B89C71F1-83B7-4E2E-AABA-D737B4AE2B53.jpeg 5E6969EE-797E-4E69-B965-A618186A1321.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.