Violation or not ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Another one I've seen is two SP switches, where light A's switch had to be on for light B's switch to turn its light on.

One I've seen baffle even some electricians is 4-way switches. "Black wires on dark screws, red on light screws, right?"

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
... One I've seen baffle even some electricians is 4-way switches. ...
Some of the most-challenging things to install correctly are the many small pieces of thin sheet metal that direct airflow around an airplane engine's cylinders. They're so difficult to comprehend that they're actually called "baffling".

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Some of the most-challenging things to install correctly are the many small pieces of thin sheet metal that direct airflow around an airplane engine's cylinders. They're so difficult to comprehend that they're actually called "baffling".
I "fin" that difficult to believe.

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
Troubleshooter.jpg actual problem.jpg

Just had to share this one, Customer says they're second AC hasn't worked for over 2 years, looked at the possibilities, this is what I came up with after roughly 1 hour . I have to admit this is one of my better solves.

I posted this on a social media business page that's why I showed the visual process.

Last edited:

oldsparky52

Just had to share this one, Customer says they're second AC hasn't worked for over 2 years, looked at the possibilities, this is what I came up with after roughly 1 hour . I have to admit this is one of my better solves.

I posted this on a social media business page that's why I showed the visual process.
That's a great job of troubleshooting. Looks like everything would have been fine if they had used a shorter lag, or not countersunk the lag (or found the stud).

Another C10

Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
That's a great job of troubleshooting. Looks like everything would have been fine if they had used a shorter lag, or not countersunk the lag (or found the stud).
Thanks, I was pretty happy.

The AC Breaker was tripping or had for years apparently, so I decided to see if I had any good wiring to the AC at all, disconnected 1 leg at a time off the 2 pole breaker, Identified the problemed phase, now for the tough part, noticed the home was fairly new 2 story, wiring ran between floors so no chance of access there. As I'm thinking how to manipulate the existing feeder because I know the problem cant be more than 12" of a 100' run, Or I just run surface mount conduit along the entire dwelling or tunnel under sidewalks etc .. As I'm looking at the patio cover My eye caught the multiple Lag bolts and I noticed the location of the disconnects, thinking ... that would be too easy, I ended up asking the client when was the rear trellis work done, they said ehh .. about 2 years ago, I smile to myself and say would you say the 2nd AC stopped working around that same time, they pondered for a moment and quickly said you know what It did now that you mention it, saying how would you know that. I explained my theory before proceeding with opening their wall.

I basically cut out the damaged part spliced in a recessed Nema 3 6x6 enclosure and continued the last 6' of new material down to the disconnect.
Flipped breaker on and wallah the AC works. That was a fun find.

I've learned to communicate to the client as much as possible in the first 5 minutes when trouble shooting a problem because many times with the right questions you'll know were to start before even putting your tools on.

McLintock

Occupation
Electrician
I've learned to communicate to the client as much as possible in the first 5 minutes when trouble shooting a problem because many times with the right questions you'll know were to start before even putting your tools on.

I learned to do that doing service calls for a garage door company I worked for. Talking to the customer about the problem, what does it do, when does it do this, etc... on garage door openers it was usually the time of day as the sun would hit the photo eyes

“ shoot low boys their riding shetland ponies”

Another C10

Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
20140819_111414.jpg

Maybe you folks can tell me what you think but I noticed this at a railroad warehouse and figured, this is way illegal.
#12 coming off a 200 A distribution of feed through lugs, feeding who knows what , but really would it matter.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
what basically is that .. sorry looked it up, surge protection. I suppose, didn't notice anything at the panel maybe there is a monitoring unit somewhere.
Thanks.
To be effective, they are usually really close, and wires are short as possible, so if you didn’t see it mounted to the side of the panel, or on a short nipple, that’s probably not what it fed.

Another C10

Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
20150126_093927.jpg

Anyone care to guess what issue occurred when this bath switch was used after taking showers. I removed the cover and saw this.

Another C10

Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
20170216_175235.jpg

Last issue of the day,

Customer tells me he saw a Blue flame shooting out of the receptacle even though it had a cover on it, I go to the outlet not believing an actual blue flame shot out of it, removed the cover and this is what I saw.

From this image can you read what may of happened. Hints will be provided if necessary.

Another C10

Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020

L-G fault from nicked insulation when the NM jacket was stripped at installation?
You are correct in that due to a heavy hand or dull razor knife the pressure needs to be so that while cutting off the outer sheath of the NM cable, ones not cutting through the insulation of the conductors as well, which obviously is why this scenario happened.

Now we know the problem occurred due to the stripping method, so what would you think by looking at this image caused the blue flame. and how.

20170216_175235.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.