Wages

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireman71

Sorry but it is about money as an employee. You can pretend it's not but it is. Plain and simple. Your employees work for you to make money.

Was supposd to quote something.. LOL! But it's true. All this BS by employers about how they don't have to pay as much because of something or another.. Do what works for you!

romexking

DAWGS said:
Good for them if they can get more. My modow is make it so they can't afford to leave. I don't care what their goals are, I'm their employeer not their father its not my place to tell them how to handle their money. If they choose to buy beer and fast food with their raise thats fine, I know they will show up the next morning at my job sites.

Well, I suppose that is one way to handle it.

hardworkingstiff

wireman71 said:
Sorry but it is about money as an employee. You can pretend it's not but it is. Plain and simple. Your employees work for you to make money.

It's about money for the employer too. There is only so much money in a job. The problems heat up when one side perceives they are not getting their fair share.

iwire

Staff member
I am sure that if we just keep hitting this back and forth we will be able to fix all the problems with the employer / employee relationship. :rolleyes: :grin:

IMO this whole thread is pointless, peoples individual opinions are not going to be changed here.

It makes as much sense as arguing over ground up or down.

brian john

Best post so far Bob....

But of course I have to add.

Start at minimum wage with no benifits and work from their.Loose your employee mentality and gain an employer mentality.You want employees at the lowest possible cost,raises and bennies are how you retain the best employees.When looking for employees do not advertise what your are paying just put pay based on expierience.Find out what the pay is for your market.Always offer less than you are willing to pay and less than what they will request on the application.

As an employer I have to say...JEEZE....heck of a philosophy, The exact opposite approach I use.

Last edited:

romexking

wireman71 said:

Was supposd to quote something.. LOL! But it's true. All this BS by employers about how they don't have to pay as much because of something or another.. Do what works for you!

If it is only about money, why are you an electrician? Wouldn't a different career be more economically rewarding? I suppose you have two jobs because you like the money so much.

It is beyond my comprehension how you can honestly believe this. How can you impose you values onto everyone in an entire trade. At least my reasoning leaves open the option that for some people, money is the only concern. Your statement leaves no room for anyone to have any other reason for working at a particlular employer. So as long as an employer pays you the most, you will tolerate any humiliation that they might heap upon you? What if you had to use your car to transport conduit, would you stay because they pay more? What if you had to work in freezing cold or blistering heat ALL of the time. Would that play a part in choice of employers? What if instead you had the opportunity to work in a clean office environment that on Fridays brought strippers in for your pleasure, but they paid $.50 an hour less? Would you even consider it?

These are all rhetorical questions, I don't care what the answers are. I just wanted to make you thing about the validity of your statement.

LawnGuyLandSparky

tmbrk said:
I liked the fact that if I worked harder than the next guy I would be rewarded for it. Nothing is worse for morale than to see the guy next to you slacking off everyday yet making the same wages and benefits as you.

That's one way of looking at it. But if you examine the economics of contracting, there are few that can afford to keep any slacker on the payroll. I rather like the method where if you cannot produce to an acceptable standard, you hit the bricks, instead of utilizing substandard help at a lower rate. Would you go to a $50.00 doctor when the rest demand $100.00?

I went out on my own because I wanted to push myself even further.

Not everyone thinks the same.

tmbrk

LawnGuyLandSparky said:
That's one way of looking at it. But if you examine the economics of contracting, there are few that can afford to keep any slacker on the payroll. I rather like the method where if you cannot produce to an acceptable standard, you hit the bricks, instead of utilizing substandard help at a lower rate. Would you go to a $50.00 doctor when the rest demand $100.00?

If I was forced under contract to keep going to a substandard doctor because if I didn't all the other doctors would go on strike I guess I would have to.

I have worked union and non-union and I personally saw just how hard it was to get rid of a slacker.

tmbrk

I worked at one job where the foreman finally gave up trying to get rid of a slacker because everyone down at the hall started calling him ( the foreman) a "company man" and his "brothers" turned their backs on him. So yes the rest of us had to work side by side with him (the slacker) knowing he was making the same wages and benfits.

Last edited:

LawnGuyLandSparky

tmbrk said:
If I was forced under contract to keep going to a substandard doctor because if I didn't all the other doctors would go on strike I guess I would have to.

I have worked union and non-union and I personally saw just how hard it was to get rid of a slacker.

I saw no difference in the difficulty of dismissing a slacker whether union or nonunion. Here's your layoff, have a nice day. No I don't want to discuss it.

LawnGuyLandSparky

tmbrk said:
I worked at one job where the foreman finally gave up trying to get rid of a slacker because everyone down at the hall started calling him ( the foreman) a "company man" and his "brothers" turned their backs on him. So yes the rest of us had to work side by side with him (the slacker) knowing he was making the same wages and benfits.

Well I wasn't there, but if you want to lay someone off and everyone from the hall (I assume you're referring to business agents) and all of the journeyman on the jobsite disagreed with the foreman's actions, and turned their backs in disgust, that the problem wasn't "slacking."

tmbrk

LawnGuyLandSparky said:
Well I wasn't there, but if you want to lay someone off and everyone from the hall (I assume you're referring to business agents) and all of the journeyman on the jobsite disagreed with the foreman's actions, and turned their backs in disgust, that the problem wasn't "slacking."

First of all you are correct..You weren't there.

Second, we that had to work this guy did not turn our backs on the foreman. We didn't want to work with that jerk anymore than the foreman wanted him undermining the jobsite. It was the politicians down at the hall that the guy went to complain about the unfair way in which he felt he was being treated.

I don't know what local you work for, but there are some very political ones out there. The system is flawed.

And if you think it's all about the money. Take a good look at your next issue of the IBEW journal. See those guys in suits shaking hands and smiling for the camera? What is their motivation? Your dues paying their $100,000+ salaries. Think their hands get dirty?

bikeindy

Just to clarify my position, my guys are well paid. and I don't know and don't care what union guys make. I know two union guys from church and we have never discussed salaries. My first post here was that I don't think basing your wages as an employer of a merit shop should have anything to do with union wages. I would expect that most union guys should have a great deal different job situation than that of a merit shop guy. Personally I wouldn't want to be down at the new stadium here in Indy day after day working (and I am assuming that it is a union job). And there is really nothing keeping a guy from going some place else if he wants to. When it comes down to it you work for a company because you like it and the pay. If the job is a hassle and the boss is a jerk I would want more pay to stick around. I started out on my own because that is what I wanted to do. I hope I haven't done too much damage to the labor movement by helping my guys with their problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.