Warning: PG&E on the warpath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I haven't heard of this. It is in their green book.

I can see understand new construction, but on remodel such as a ranch where ALL of the bedrooms are on one end of the house and the original panel is on that end?! Are there any exceptions to this that you are aware of?

I believe if it is "like for like" (rating wise) replacement.

This rule has been in their book for a very long time and because of the older mechanical meters that would turn and the vibration may make noise on the bedroom walls and people could not sleep. They were not really enforcing this rule. Interestingly, they started enforcing it ever since they started installing electronic meters that do not make any noise.
GO FIGURE:huh::huh::huh:

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
They used to recommend not putting the meter on a bedroom wall because of meter noise. Now they will not allow it. I have a feeling recent change is due to EMF noise from the smart meters but they would not be willing to admit it. Too many people claiming they have serious illnesses from sleeping near the smart meters. Of course the same people have WiFi in their homes and have their smart phones glued to their hands.

kwired

Electron manager
I believe if it is "like for like" (rating wise) replacement.

This rule has been in their book for a very long time and because of the older mechanical meters that would turn and the vibration may make noise on the bedroom walls and people could not sleep. They were not really enforcing this rule. Interestingly, they started enforcing it ever since they started installing electronic meters that do not make any noise.
GO FIGURE:huh::huh::huh:
More smart meters have supposedly melted down then the older mechanical meters have, maybe that has some to do with it??

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
More smart meters have supposedly melted down then the older mechanical meters have, maybe that has some to do with it??

I don't know. Just like some of CA laws it does not make ANY sense. NOTHING.

tbakelis

In San Jose myself.... dealing w PGE is a complete and utter disaster. They don't know what the F they want. I've asked countless supervisors.... no straight answers... nothing but "grey" areas. So.. I just keep doing 200 amp upgrades and keep waiting myself or this horror story to happen to me. Ughhh

Now doing upgrades in Santa Clara for Silicon Valley Power is such a treat!!!!! Flawless

I haven't heard of this.

I can see understand new construction, but on remodel such as a ranch where ALL of the bedrooms are on one end of the house and the original panel is on that end?! Are there any exceptions to this that you are aware of?

The project planner may write an exception letter, but it depends on how they feel about the job. No rules you can can your hat on except "no, you can't put a new service on a bedroom wall". My understanding is this came from the legal dept, as some folks have sued, claiming their smart meter is affecting their health, sleep, etc.

peter d

Update: despite being told, not once, but twice, on two different days, that their service had been reconnected, the occupant still has no power. Now they're told it likely will not be until this Friday, due to storm damage.

I would have reconnected that service myself, no way I would accept that from the poco.

In San Jose myself.... dealing w PGE is a complete and utter disaster. They don't know what the F they want. I've asked countless supervisors.... no straight answers... nothing but "grey" areas. So.. I just keep doing 200 amp upgrades and keep waiting myself or this horror story to happen to me. Ughhh

Now doing upgrades in Santa Clara for Silicon Valley Power is such a treat!!!!! Flawless

I was told this happened to 3 different jobs out of the Cupertino office. And it appears this was the first time it happened at that district. Had nothing to do with PG&E Planning Dept (who we made application with), but straight out of the dispatch office. Smart meter reported power off, T-man have no scheduled calls, so they send them out to investigate.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I read a blog post recently that indicates PG&E has their hands full relocating the power lines at Oroville. The OP may have a long wait.

peter d

With all due respect, that's easy for you to say. I do 2-4 service changes a month, most involving PG&E. And I need to keep working with PG&E for at least the next 10 years.

I can't afford to lose my license over this.

You're right, it's easy for me to say because of our very liberal poco rules here. But on the other hand, who is the customer going to blame for this? You or PG&E?

You're right, it's easy for me to say because of our very liberal poco rules here. But on the other hand, who is the customer going to blame for this? You or PG&E?

Customer knows it's all on PG&E, but I still hurt for them. His parents are here visiting from out of the country, and the whole family (grandparents, parents and children) have been living in a motel for the last 5 days. His parents are going home this Friday.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Customer knows it's all on PG&E, but I still hurt for them. His parents are here visiting from out of the country, and the whole family (grandparents, parents and children) have been living in a motel for the last 5 days. His parents are going home this Friday.

Nice way to show them America :happyno::happyno:

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
"Welcome to America. Electricity may be available next week. Enjoy your stay."

Yup, all because of one bad apple POCO.:happyno: I normally do not take sides, but over the years I've heard some stuff about PG&E and I will leave it at that. :thumbsup:

gadfly56

Occupation
Yup, all because of one bad apple POCO.:happyno: I normally do not take sides, but over the years I've heard some stuff about PG&E and I will leave it at that. :thumbsup:

I realize there may be any number of "get out of jail free" cards, but doesn't the operating tariff contain any performance language? Can't the state board of public utilities be badgered to put some pressure on these clowns?

For what it's worth, they do have a claims page. There is a certain satisfaction to be derived from harassing their ass.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I realize there may be any number of "get out of jail free" cards, but doesn't the operating tariff contain any performance language? Can't the state board of public utilities be badgered to put some pressure on these clowns?

For what it's worth, they do have a claims page. There is a certain satisfaction to be derived from harassing their ass.

If you ask me the only way to fix anything is to go public. Until then problems will continue to fall on deaf ears.

gadfly56

Occupation
If you ask me the only way to fix anything is to go public. Until then problems will continue to fall on deaf ears.

Here's a partial list. Most new organizations are a sucker for the "heartless corporation vs defenseless customer" human interest story.

KGO-TV 7* (ABC)
KPIX 5* (CBS)
KTVU 2* (based in Oakland) (Fox)
KNTV 11* (based in San Jose) (NBC)
KBCW 44* (The CW)
KQED 9 and KQEH 54 (PBS; the latter is based in San Jose and brands as "KQED Plus")
KRON 4 (MyNetworkTV; originally served as an NBC affiliate from 1949 through 2001)
KAXT 1 (Independently owned television station with 12 video and eight audio channels)
KDTV-DT 14* (Univision)
KEMO 50 (based in Santa Rosa) (Azteca)
KFTL 28 (HSN)
KSTS 48* (based in San Jose) (Telemundo)
KKPX-TV 65* Ion Television
KFSF-DT 66* (based in Vallejo) (UniMás)

Status
Not open for further replies.