Warning: PG&E on the warpath

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Here's a partial list. Most new organizations are a sucker for the "heartless corporation vs defenseless customer" human interest story.

KGO-TV 7* (ABC)
KPIX 5* (CBS)
KTVU 2* (based in Oakland) (Fox)
KNTV 11* (based in San Jose) (NBC)
KBCW 44* (The CW)
KQED 9 and KQEH 54 (PBS; the latter is based in San Jose and brands as "KQED Plus")
KRON 4 (MyNetworkTV; originally served as an NBC affiliate from 1949 through 2001)
KAXT 1 (Independently owned television station with 12 video and eight audio channels)
KDTV-DT 14* (Univision)
KEMO 50 (based in Santa Rosa) (Azteca)
KFTL 28 (HSN)
KSTS 48* (based in San Jose) (Telemundo)
KKPX-TV 65* Ion Television
KFSF-DT 66* (based in Vallejo) (UniMás)

Go for it, you have my full encouragement :thumbsup::)

kwired

Electron manager
I realize there may be any number of "get out of jail free" cards, but doesn't the operating tariff contain any performance language? Can't the state board of public utilities be badgered to put some pressure on these clowns?

For what it's worth, they do have a claims page. There is a certain satisfaction to be derived from harassing their ass.
I believe it was mentioned earlier in this thread that the state board and the utility both sleep in the same bed. It will take more then one customer or one contractor to get between them and have any noticeable effect.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Robot called the customer yesterday and said they were scheduled for 4:15pm connection. Guess what: nobody showed.

Now PGE says they're scheduled for Wednesday, March 1 (14 days wo power). And that is still depending on further storm damage.

Suggest to your customer that they contact their local media outlet(s). Have them emphasize that this issue started before any emergency was present. Squeaky wheel, and all that.

If they are living in a local motel, this is going to be some serious coin. Is their insurance company going to pick up this tab?

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have thought about the media in situations like this but.............
The media doesn't understand the technical aspects of installing a service and getting it connected. PG&E (and all big utilities) have high dollar public relations people on staff that will find a way to spin this problem onto electricguy. They will say he didn't follow the proper order or application process.

kwired

Electron manager
The media doesn't understand the technical aspects of installing a service and getting it connected. PG&E (and all big utilities) have high dollar public relations people on staff that will find a way to spin this problem onto electricguy. They will say he didn't follow the proper order or application process.
And for the homeowner - for only two weeks of motel cost it is hard to justify going to an attorney unless there is some assurance you will likely win your case.

You got it Curt! And again, we all have to continue to work with PG&E. Hard to be too critical without sounding like you're criticizing the workers (T-men, project planners, schedulers, etc) that you've developed relationships with and who are not at fault.

It's a no-win problem for all of us legit contractors.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
You got it Curt! And again, we all have to continue to work with PG&E. Hard to be too critical without sounding like you're criticizing the workers (T-men, project planners, schedulers, etc) that you've developed relationships with and who are not at fault.

I appreciate your position, but that doesn't help your customer. What do they have, 2 rooms, one for the parents and one for the kids? Quick look at the Bay Area and it's probably $150/night with all fees and taxes, so $300 x 14 = $4,200. Unless they have a suite with a kitchen, they're eating out. Mom, dad, 2 kids is easily $40 per meal if not more, so $40 x 3 x 14 = $1,680 for a grand total of $5,880. Six grand because PG&E can't get off their duffs and do their job.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I appreciate your position, but that doesn't help your customer. What do they have, 2 rooms, one for the parents and one for the kids? Quick look at the Bay Area and it's probably $150/night with all fees and taxes, so $300 x 14 = $4,200. Unless they have a suite with a kitchen, they're eating out. Mom, dad, 2 kids is easily $40 per meal if not more, so $40 x 3 x 14 = $1,680 for a grand total of $5,880. Six grand because PG&E can't get off their duffs and do their job.

If PG&E turns this story around and blames Electricguy for the delay he is on the hook for the expenses. It also doesn't guarantee the service will be connected any sooner.

peter d

You can fly me out there and I'll tie that service in under the cover of darkness. Cash payment required of course. :thumbsup:

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer

Looking back through the thread, I'm missing the part where it says what needs to be reconnected. You said your crew disconnected the power and you use Polaris to reconnect services, so should I gather it's not at the weatherhead? Is it the smart meter that's turned off? Did the guy who came out initially disconnect the drop at the pole?

Just curious...

kwired

Electron manager
But next electric bill may end up only being the minimum charge and little or no energy charges:roll:

POCO may even want a "reconnect fee" on top of everything:(

Status
Not open for further replies.