Wasting thousands of tax payer dollars, one Massachusetts public school has not turned off the lights for over a year and a half

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
What are "ignition points"? :D

Just kidding; I am old enough to have replaced many points, plugs, and condensers in my day. I have gapped points with a paper matchbook cover in the middle of the night on the side of the highway in a rainstorm while my buddy held the flashlight and my beer.
Plugs, points and a condenser. Yup. I remember doing that. Setting timing with a timing gun another one.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I have a novel idea. A switch by the door of every classroom. Turn lights on when you come in, turn off end of day when leaving. Key switch so students can’t get mischievous. Same at cafeteria, gym & hallways.
It takes a whole group of intelligent fools to complicate lights to this degree. And a group of idiots to go along with it. 🧐

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
Can one even do a 300 mile route in a normal 8 hour work day? Consider that if the population density is that low, some the roads you will be taking will not be the greatest so you won't necessarily be driving ~60 mph most the way either. And if the population is more dense, you will have enough stops that you are not too likely to go 300 miles in a day.

UPS and Fedex drivers that come to my place maybe put on at least 150 miles maybe even 200+ a day. But they are driving maybe 20 or 30 miles before making the first delivery as they don't have a base in every town like USPS mostly does. And ultimately at the end of the day they might be driving 20 to 30 miles back after making that last delivery of the day.

We have friends in Frazier Bottom, West Vergina and they have to go to the post office to pick up their mail.

kwired

Electron manager
We have friends in Frazier Bottom, West Vergina and they have to go to the post office to pick up their mail.
There very well may be people in north central and western NE that have to do that as well.

I've heard UPS/Fedex doesn't deliver on daily basis to some areas out that way but rather every few days or once a week to help have enough deliveries to make it more worthwhile, not sure if true or not but not surprising if true.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
There very well may be people in north central and western NE that have to do that as well.

I've heard UPS/Fedex doesn't deliver on daily basis to some areas out that way but rather every few days or once a week to help have enough deliveries to make it more worthwhile, not sure if true or not but not surprising if true.
What if a package is shipped "red label/overnight"?

kwired

Electron manager
What if a package is shipped "red label/overnight"?
Don't know. Wouldn't be surprised if you wouldn't have to come to the nearest distribution location to pick it up if you want it ASAP, unless you got lucky enough that it arrives on a day when they will be making deliveries to you.

Used to have an industrial client, UPS distribution location was in a town 25 miles away, but there were several workers in the plant that lived in the town where UPS was. Sometimes when we were getting a part via overnight service and wanted to get it ASAP one of them would stop in at UPS and pick it up before coming to work, otherwise delivery truck wouldn't be there until 10 or 11 AM. This was back in the 1990's. Many those reported to work at 6AM but if picking up such items might be able to pick them up by 6:30, then arrive at plant by 7 or 7:30 still was deemed best option vs waiting for regular delivery truck to arrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.