What 50 amp disconnect should I use for a garage?

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
I think the OP is confusing the requirements for connecting the GEC vs where the bonding takes place.
The GEC is allowed to connect anywhere from the weatherhead down to the panel. No mention of first means of disconnect.
For a service.

For a feeder to a detached building, apparently the GEC is allowed to connect to the feeder EGC anywhere, as per the text quoted from the NEC at the bottom of post #23. So if your feeder goes to, say, 3 panels in a row inside your building, and your last panel is closest to the grounding electrode, you can land your GEC there, rather than in the building disconnect.

Cheers, Wayne

dhalleron

Occupation
Master Electrician/Senior Fire Alarm Technician
I think the OP is confusing the requirements for connecting the GEC vs where the bonding takes place.
The GEC is allowed to connect anywhere from the weatherhead down to the panel. No mention of first means of disconnect.
I think you hit the nail on the head. Why is first means of disconnect stuck in my head?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
For a service.

For a feeder to a detached building, apparently the GEC is allowed to connect to the feeder EGC anywhere, as per the text quoted from the NEC at the bottom of post #23. So if your feeder goes to, say, 3 panels in a row inside your building, and your last panel is closest to the grounding electrode, you can land your GEC there, rather than in the building disconnect.

Cheers, Wayne
I just put the service requirements in there for reference. A feeder still doesn't require the 1st means of disconnect. That was my point.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It's tough to bring the feeders to a panel just inside. There is a concrete patio on the side and we brought the feeder to the backside. Would probably cost more in conduit and wire to move the panel closer to the door before we go inside than buying the right disconnect.
It doesn't need to be near a door.

BarryO

Occupation
Electrical engineer (retired)
?? "Shall" does equal a requirement. But "shall be permitted" is not a requirement.

Cheers, Wayne
As someone who has served as editor of a few standards from ANSI-accredited organizations in the past (mostly IEEE), "shall be permitted" strikes me as an odd alternative for just saying "may". Does the NFPA have a style guide?

When I started reading this post I was going to reply with 225.38(C) but saw others did already. A wire nut or similar connector should suffice.