• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Is this statement true or false?

"Grounding is used to protect that person. By connecting a wire from the metal frame of the refrigerator to the ground, if the chassis inadvertently becomes charged for any reason, the unwanted electricity will travel down the wire and out safely into the earth; and in the process, trip the circuit-breaker stopping the flow of electricity. Obviously, that wire has to connect to something that is in turn connected to the earth or ground outside. Typically this connection is a grounding electrode."

From: http://www.esgroundingsolutions.com/about-electrical-grounding/what-is-electrical-grounding.php

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I would have to say false in that a return path through "earth" will generally not trip a breaker other than a GFCI. And the important path is to the system neutral.
This is an egregious example of the confusion between grounding and bonding and should be challenged if it is put forward to the public.
Many will not understand the distinction, but that us no excuse for a clearly inaccurate and potentially misleading statement.

Tapatalk!

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Gentlemen and if we have any women who are here, my point was not to embarrass rather to point out that the purpose of grounding is still so poorly understood. :happysad:

Would it be fair to say that the most important thing that we do is to ground/bond properly?

How many homeowners and apprentices are saved because grounding/bonding has been performed properly?

I also posted this because I'll bet that a great % of those who sit and watch us debate would vote true.

They have nice graphics!:thumbsup:

I was looking for a picture for our earlier waterline poly-copper-pex question when I found this.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Should have made the poll a "public" poll. That way we could take the left-over tar/feathers (from the flogging the writer of the article gets) and threaten the one who answered wrong!:dunce:

Don't use the tar, just threaten unless they study up on the subject!:)

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Should have made the poll a "public" poll. That way we could take the left-over tar/feathers (from the flogging the writer of the article gets) and threaten the one who answered wrong!:dunce:

Problem with public is no one listens. I use to attend Realtor meetings and explain the Request to Remedy(s) that I was reading was one going to cost someone a lot of money, was not possible to do or possibly kill someone. Because they were copying verbatim what the HI wrote in his report.

So I have decide to only try to show one person at a time now and hope that the word gets out that electricity is not something that you can fix with a 'penny' (loved All in The Family) any more.

And like I said I did not want to harm the company. As suggested above someone with more influence and a better demeanor could inform them of what they posted.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

Problem with public is no one listens. I use to attend Realtor meetings and explain the Request to Remedy(s) that I was reading was one going to cost someone a lot of money, was not possible to do or possibly kill someone. Because they were copying verbatim what the HI wrote in his report.

So I have decide to only try to show one person at a time now and hope that the word gets out that electricity is not something that you can fix with a 'penny' (loved All in The Family) any more.

And like I said I did not want to harm the company. As suggested above someone with more influence and a better demeanor could inform them of what they posted.

No, no! My "tongue-n-cheek" comment was saying you should have made the poll on this forum, a public poll. With a public poll you can see how everyone voted. We would have known who the one was that voted "true"!

Status
Not open for further replies.