Who is the builder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

splinetto

I heard of some upcoming new construction of a Large home, apprx 50,000 sq ft, in my area.....All I know is the owners name and current address....Does any one have any ideas on how to get my foot in the door? Or how you would try to get the work.....

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I heard of some upcoming new construction of a Large home, apprx 50,000 sq ft, in my area.....All I know is the owners name and current address....Does any one have any ideas on how to get my foot in the door? Or how you would try to get the work.....

If you were a 50.000 sq. foot home with one hole per wire you will be released in 5 years. :grin:

ceb58

At 50,000sqft you will have more than your foot in the door. But it may be a slow go waiting for the poco to build the substation out back:grin:

hurk27

Did you try to wall paper all the doors with fliers or business cards yet?

splinetto

I asked the guy,who told me about it, the next day after he told me the first time to double check...maybe he said 15000 and I heard 50000 ..I was wrong ...he said the wifes closet is 1500 sqft.....

480sparky

One problem you may encounter is who is actually going to hire an electrician. In a dwelling this size, the name of the builder/GC may not even be public as that person/company is simply hired by the homeowner under a private contract.

Finding out that Joe Sixpack is the owner of the property is pretty simple to do. Finding the builder Joe has hired (Fly-By-Night Homebuilders or Cut-Corners Construction) may be 'pert near impossible.

splinetto

Would it be appropriate to send him a letter explaining the complexity of building a large house and the services that the company I work for would do...Such as design build,years in business, blah blah blah......I just dont want to cross any lines or come across as anoying... but I would sure like to wire a house that size...

480sparky

Would it be appropriate to send him a letter explaining the complexity of building a large house and the services that the company I work for would do...Such as design build,years in business, blah blah blah......I just dont want to cross any lines or come across as anoying......

I'm sure any builder worth his/her salt that can do a home that size is already well-versed in the construction trade.

....but I would sure like to wire a house that size...

You, and probably everyone else in town. I imagine a project like this being akin to winning the lottery...... suddenly everyone is related to you and wants money.

ceb58

I'm sure any builder worth his/her salt that can do a home that size is already well-versed in the construction trade.

You, and probably everyone else in town. I imagine a project like this being akin to winning the lottery...... suddenly everyone is related to you and wants money.

And to add to what 480 said I imagine a GC that builds custom homes like that already has a EC that he has a relationship with. Unlike speck. homes the GC is not necessarily looking to bid shop on a job like this. He will want someone that can do the job and provide the customer with the hand holding and changes they want to keep them happy.
I am not saying you nor your company could not provide this service it's a matter of relationship and track record with the GC. But it still would be worth some time and effort to find the GC and present him with you info. Who knows the last EC may have done a bad job and he is looking for a new one. The worst he can say is no, I already have an EC

emahler

i'd take a 15,000 sq foot warehouse over a 15,000 sq foot house any day...there is no profit in custom homes...on a house that size, there is way too much complexity and too many changes to actually come out ahead...especially if the builder is not inclined to see you succeed...

Rewire

Sounds like a few of the mansions built around the lake.Most of the custom home GCs already have a longstanding relationship with all their subs.You will have more luck getting your foot in the door on a smaller project.

480sparky

i'd take a 15,000 sq foot warehouse over a 15,000 sq foot house any day...there is no profit in custom homes...on a house that size, there is way too much complexity and too many changes to actually come out ahead...especially if the builder is not inclined to see you succeed...

Change orders is what makes you money.

BoatDingy001.jpg

dduffee260

At the current rate of construction for new homes around here that is a $117,000 contract. That works out to $109.85 a day. We hardly do houses and this is why.

Just last month one of the largest " romex rocket " contractors here went belly up owing supply houses in the high six figure range is what I heard. Yet there is another contractor who hops right into the drivers seat of that money losing vehicle and wants to take it for a spin.

If you run it correctly then there is a chance of making good money. Put the wrong person in charge and it could be a large loss. Good luck to you if you get it. I hope you do and make good money on a fun project. Take care

emahler

I am, but its a different world these days.

It's also why a mentioned the builder.

Custom homes are different than track homes. The GC/sub relationship is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.