Working on live ckts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Just apply 6 volts directly to the heart! It's current that kills. 10 mA will do it. 6/.01=600 ohms. So you have to get the 6 volts under the skin layer to get that low of a resistance.
But why would you?

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Just apply 6 volts directly to the heart! It's current that kills. 10 mA will do it. 6/.01=600 ohms. So you have to get the 6 volts under the skin layer to get that low of a resistance.
Well, OK, but there's no way 6V can kill you under anything resembling normal conditions.

Occupation
Electrical apprentice
I am not following this argument.
I am not following this argument.
Yeah, I still don't follow. Neither of those things are true. Okay, in the first instance, if you're grounded to something else (not the yoke) and you energize the yoke with the hot, then if the yoke is already grounded you'll get an arc flash, and if the yoke is not yet grounded it will now shock you if you're holding it. In neither case can you count on a breaker tripping (although if there's a good GFCI then that's better).
you won’t get shocked if the egc isn’t hooked up to the yoke and the hot touched the yoke, it would be like touching a hot wire as long you’re not grounded you won’t get shocked. Ex; touching the grounded metal box or aren’t standing barefoot on wet concrete, leaning on a steel i beam, etc

Occupation
Electrical apprentice
He's saying that connecting the EGC first makes the breaker trip, as an EGC is intended to do, instead of shocking you if you're holding the yoke.
I agree with how you hook up switches and outlets anything else like a light, etc I leave the ground hooked up. But you’d definitely get shocked if you had the egc hooked up and were holding the yoke with your bare hand and you touched the hot with your other hand, or you touched your strippers metal while stripping the hot or your screwdriver metal shaft while tightening the hot. Current will go through you and not trip the breaker as the ckt isn’t intended to protect you. If you touched the hot directly to the grounded yoke sure the breaker will trip but you may also as well IMO. I recently did this is how i know lol. As long as you’re not grounded it goes against safety to do anything hot but much safer in my eyes leaving the ground til last on switches and receptacles

Occupation
Electrical apprentice
you won’t get shocked if the egc isn’t hooked up to the yoke and the hot touched the yoke, it would be like touching a hot wire as long you’re not grounded you won’t get shocked. Ex; touching the grounded metal box or aren’t standing barefoot on wet concrete, leaning on a steel i beam, etc
@jaggedben yes if you were touching ground somewhere else sure you’d still get shocked.

I’m not entirely sure that if you did have the ground hooked up to the yoke and the hot touched that yoke that you wouldn’t get shocked at that moment before the breaker tripped. That is if you were holding the yoke with your bare hand. Not sure I wanna try lol

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
Sirs, alot of things use BANKS of 6v deep cells, upwards of 1000 amps... it doesnt have to be on the heart. I was thinking jumper cables to the nips for who ever wants to volunteer. I get we are low volt (below medium) and someone says 6v, must be some bell xfrmr...
Wrong.

ggunn

Occupation
Golf carts are normal.
Has anyone ever been electrocuted by a 6V battery on a golf cart? It does not matter to the current in a circuit how much available current a voltage source like a battery has as long as it has enough to not droop under the load connected to it. A single 6V golf cart battery or 100 of them in parallel makes no difference; the current through a high resistance load like a human body is the same. Ohm's Law still holds; I = V/R.

grich

Occupation
Broadcast Engineer
I had to get a battery in a hurry once and stopped by Autozone. The boy that was installing my battery hooked up the ground first and had a ratchet handle a mile long. I stopped him and asked him to take the ground off and put the positive on first. I asked him if anyone ever explained about connecting batteries. He said they just showed him the tools and said to do it. After I explained the dangers of it to him he understood and was a little pale thinking about all the times he had escaped the danger!
A friend of mine had a car with a nice wrench-sized notch burned through the fender next to his battery. Somewhere there's a matching wrench and some ruined underwear.

ggunn

Occupation
A friend of mine had a car with a nice wrench-sized notch burned through the fender next to his battery. Somewhere there's a matching wrench and some ruined underwear.
You can tell someone to always connect the positive terminal first and disconnect it last, but until they do that they probably won't remember. Then they will.

retirede

Has anyone ever been electrocuted by a 6V battery on a golf cart? It does not matter to the current in a circuit how much available current a voltage source like a battery has as long as it has enough to not droop under the load connected to it. A single 6V golf cart battery or 100 of them in parallel makes no difference; the current through a high resistance load like a human body is the same. Ohm's Law still holds; I = V/R.

He didn’t mention electrocution. You can get killed by being run over by a golf cart.

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
You can tell someone to always connect the positive terminal first and disconnect it last, but until they do that they probably won't remember. Then they will.
Why would you do that if no one has been killed by a battery? Certified.... hhmm.

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
What?
Please reread my first post.
Instead of "no it isnt... prove it.." flat earthers... nuh uhh...

Last edited:

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Why would you do that if no one has been killed by a battery?

Because although the risk of electric shock from a 12V battery is almost non-existent, the risk of severe burns or starting a fire is arguably much greater than with a small AC circuit on a breaker, due to the high available current.

In many cases the considerations with respect to electric shock and arc flash are not the same and may not need the same safety procedures, if we are ruling out turning the power off.

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
If you guys don't know how easy it is to get shocked from a battery then you just don't have the experience. And It is just as easy to deliberately shock someone with 120v or 1v. If you don't believe that, that is just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.