Working space at Invertor skid pads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

haglundk

Would like to get thoughts on working space around large scale solar project skids, these skids have a 34.5 KV transformer, 1500 volt DC invertors and misc 110/208 panels for controls etc. Is working space required? Contractors are saying no because it won't be working on when energized.

Carultch

Would like to get thoughts on working space around large scale solar project skids, these skids have a 34.5 KV transformer, 1500 volt DC invertors and misc 110/208 panels for controls etc. Is working space required? Contractors are saying no because it won't be working on when energized.

Better to have and not need, then need and not have. Just put the working space in, regardless of whether it is possible to service when completely de-energized. There are times when you do have to service it energized, so you can take voltage and current measurements as diagnostics.

I've seen it go both ways. I've seen inspectors require level working clearance for anything facing outwards (had to build up a berm, the skid was 18" above level grade).

My opinion on this is anything facing inwards or facing another panel should have the required working clearance and egress. Anything facing outwards should be fine over the grade as long as the skid is not significantly elevated.

Carultch

I've seen it go both ways. I've seen inspectors require level working clearance for anything facing outwards (had to build up a berm, the skid was 18" above level grade).

My opinion on this is anything facing inwards or facing another panel should have the required working clearance and egress. Anything facing outwards should be fine over the grade as long as the skid is not significantly elevated.

I think the OP is asking about working clearance in general, rather than specifically paved/skid level working clearance.

I don't see any problem with leaving the workspace unconditioned ground that isn't part of the slap, provided that it is still possible to stand on it and work on it thusly.

haglundk

The skids in question have about 18" of level space in front of the equipment then it drops off about 12 inch's to grade. If the grade was raised to the skid level it would be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.