Appropriate Attire For An Interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITO

LawnGuyLandSparky said:
Whatever you do, don't wear the competitor's jacket or t-shirt! :grin:

I see competitor's Carharrt jackets all the time, and while I don't like it, it's hard to fault a guy for hang'n on to a good jacket.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
ITO said:
I see competitor's Carharrt jackets all the time, and while I don't like it, it's hard to fault a guy for hang'n on to a good jacket.
I'm not sure that would be the worst thing. It just shows they actually probably have experience.

ITO

petersonra said:
I'm not sure that would be the worst thing. It just shows they actually probably have experience.

The problem is easily rectified, if they turn out to be a good hand, I give them one of my new jackets.

jnsane84

petersonra said:
My guess is that it is important to show up clean, dressed neatly, and without extraneous holes in one's body parts.

Why the discrimination against "extraneous holes in one's body parts"? I suppose that by not having the extra holes that makes one a better electrician or better tradesperson? I'm not attempting to cause an argument but I dont see the validity of that being a factor when a person is considered for employment. :-?

hockeyoligist2

jnsane84 said:
Why the discrimination against "extraneous holes in one's body parts"? I suppose that by not having the extra holes that makes one a better electrician or better tradesperson? I'm not attempting to cause an argument but I dont see the validity of that being a factor when a person is considered for employment. :-?

All that metal is dangerous! :)

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
jnsane84 said:

would you hire a smelly person over a non-smelly person everything else being equal?

the idea when interviewing is to give yourself the best chance to get a job. you almost certainly will not get bonus points for having a nose ring, and it might offend the interviewer just enough to convince him to hire the other guy.

zog

Last place I worked we had a tech who was covered head to toe with Tats and sported a mohawk in different colors, he was one of the best techs we had, smart guy and by far the hardest worker at our company, nice guy too.

However, when he met customers for the first time they were shocked and that was the first thing they noticed, I had severral negative comments on apperence from customers on him, now the customers loved him after they got to know him and his work, but first apperances do mean alot when dealing with customers.

I once had an old who grew up in the 40's tell me that you should wear a tie even if you are interviewing for a job unloading box cars. I took that advice to heart and wore a tie (not a full blown suit) tomy very first electrical interview. I am convinced that is one of main reasons I got the job. I followed that advice the next two times I was looking for an electrical position and was not out of work very long either time (though at that point I had a lot more experience to bring to the table). Not saying that I would require the same of anyone I was interviewing, just that it worked for me. Clean, neat, professional is what I'm looking for.

kkwong

When I conducted interviews, I liked them to come in in a nice shirt, shoes and pants with no holes/patches on them.

Though I agree too with John in that they should dress one notch or level with me/whoever they interview with.

LawnGuyLandSparky

jnsane84 said:

Interviews are all about discriminating. And employer is discriminating in choosing one applicant over another. Any choice where something wins out over another is a descrimination. Discriminating isn't a bad word or a bad thing. "She has very discriminating tastes" is considered a compliment.

satcom

LawnGuyLandSparky said:
Interviews are all about discriminating. And employer is discriminating in choosing one applicant over another. Any choice where something wins out over another is a descrimination. Discriminating isn't a bad word or a bad thing. "She has very discriminating tastes" is considered a compliment.

We had another EC in our area, hire a guy with "extraneous holes in his body parts, the guy lasted 2 weeks, customers were refusing to allow him to enter their homes, that is a homeowners right, not discrimination.

I have had good luck at interviews by wearing the following:
A pair of newer clean blue jeans
A darker Docker shirt short sleeve.
A standard new white undershirt (no v-neck)
A pair of polished black or brown shoes and a belt that
matches the shoe color. (Very important!)
Put on some courtesy deorderant as well.
If your shoes look like crap it will take away from anything else that you are wearing. Lastly, I would not personally consider hiring anyone who didn't make a little effort to clean themselves up before visiting with me. A good interviewer should be able to tell if you can walk the walk without you coming in wearing it on your shoulder. Anyway thats what they make probationary periods for. :) This is just my opinion of course.

LawnGuyLandSparky

satcom said:
We had another EC in our area, hire a guy with "extraneous holes in his body parts, the guy lasted 2 weeks, customers were refusing to allow him to enter their homes, that is a homeowners right, not discrimination.

Exactly. When I go to a Sears customer service counter, I don't expect to see a guy who looks like he belongs behind a Harley Davidson parts counter.

tattoo_ink.jpg

480sparky

satcom said:

I have a sign inside my front door:

"When we're at your house, we'll play by your rules."

JohnJ0906

LawnGuyLandSparky said:
Whatever you do, don't wear the competitor's jacket or t-shirt! :grin:

Funny thing is, most of the interviews I've done have been right after work, so I am still wearing a company uniform.

Score - 8 interviews, 7 offers (6 times right on the spot, 1 call the next week)

SmithBuilt said:
I agree with what's been said.

I've had guys come in in old tank tops, flip flops, and pants that were tailored for someone twice their size.

I like a guy to come in in a nice shirt Carhart is fine and nice pants that fit. Ready to work.
I personally would not show up looking like I was ready to start throwing up conduit. There is much more to it from my perspective. Personality, character, work ethic, ability to get along with co-workers, kindness, humility, confidence, competance, honesty. During a job interview the canidate is on stage. And first impressions are worth a bunch. And as one poster mentioned earlier.. Do not ever show up with your boxers hanging out. Be a homey on your time and not on mine. I don't want to ever see your snoopy underwear.

LawnGuyLandSparky said:
Discrimination is an everyday thing and all part of selecting a job canidate. It's just the way it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.