Appropriate Attire For An Interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickboy1375

mdshunk said:
Speaking of wounds, I went to buy a bottle of Mercurochrome the other day, and they don't sell it anymore. What's this world coming to? That stuff worked good. Scrape most of the dirt off your cut, throw a little Mercurochrome on it, and it'll heal fine.

As long as you dont mind a little mercury...

mdshunk

stickboy1375 said:
As long as you dont mind a little mercury...
Bah-humbug. Mom and Dad had little orange splotches of methiolate and mecurochrome all over us kids when we were little, and we're all fine.

electricalperson

iwire said:
Heres one of mine, I guess I should not be hired. :grin:

MyTatEdited.jpg
reminds me of a sailor jerry design

360Youth

Shortly after getting out of college, married and looking for work, I went to "group interview" at WalMart. I have always learned to dress in tie or at least collared shirt. One of the young lads decided to show up wearing a "Party all night, sleep all day" T-shirt. I don't recall seeing him on the first day of work. :)

220/221 said:
I would expect you to come dressed ready for work.

When I interviewed for my first electrical job, I had on a tie. The guy asked me when I could start, I said, "I have a change of clothes and a few tools in the car."

RHJohnson

I could always work with any type person. But always believed "body art" is a personal statement, which of course is explained otherwise.
When I got to do the hiring, neat, clean - presentable, no visible tatoo's, if wearing work clothes that was fine - I could see what the customers would see. You are not really welcome in another persons business or home if your appearance is something they find distasteful. That is a sure way to not gain a repeat customer or good references.
Late one night, out of town job, my son was doing his laundry at the motel.
He fell asleep, I went to the laundry and got his clothes from the dryer and threw them in the trash. He was mad for a week over someone stealing his work clothes. (They were nothing but garbage) Next day he had to go to town and buy all new work clothes. He still doesn't know - and I smile every time I am reminded.

FWIW, last I was at the Las Vages CC the IBEW shop steward there had beautiful tattoos covering both arms, and he was one heck of a worker. Quite knowlegable too.

As long as you dress for the client, which might involve covering up some ink, it don't think it greatly matters how much ink or hardware a person has. Clean & pressed pants and a good quality company shirt can do wonders. Serve up with a good attitude and pleasent demeenor and very few people will have problems.

My Generation

My Generation

Rewire said:
Please remove all metal objects from your face

Are PVC ones okay?:D

I overheard a conversation the other day where a guy had an interview, went in with street clothes* and several very large piercings in his face.

He was offered the job.

If he removed the piercings and pulled his pants up.

He refused.

Then complained that he couldn't understand why he would have to take them out, since the holes** would be still be visible.

* - Jeans around knees, boxers fully viewable, but a t-shirt long enough to cover most of them.

** - Holes that were bigger than a thumb!

satcom

Clean dress and good grooming shows you have respect for others, but the gray matter has to be in working condition to understand that concept.

ITO

Why would you want to hire somebody who starts to question your company policy before they even know whether or not they have a job? I have enough rebels as it on the payroll, and don't need any more.

What this whole things comes down to is you are trying to hire a person to do a job, and armed only with a resume and a brief interview you have to make a decision about this person and whether or not they are who you are looking for. Its all about impressions because you don't really know, so you go off how they look, how they represent themselves, how they treat you, how eager they are to work, how they speak, and tons of other subtle queues.

Questioning the employers authority during and interview is sure way to make a very bad impression, it sends up red flags for me and its game over.

I have never faulted a man for showing up to the interview in his work clothes ready to start. To me that says he is there to work...what more could you ask for?

I have never hired a man who wore too much cologne. To me that says he is not there to work.

Its all about impressions.

ITO

Rewire said:
I don't make the connection.Smelling like PePe Le Pew would make him a worker?

I don't hire them if they stink either, and if they are wearing cologne to mask bad hygiene its even worse.

The point I was trying to make is that is all about impressions and guys that come to job interviews reeking of cologne give me a bad impression. This is construction and it makes me wonder who they are trying to impress.

tmbrk

DanZ said:
** - Holes that were bigger than a thumb!

I know a couple of guys that have those earlets. Holes bigger than a nickel in their ears.

I'm all for freedom of expression, but you can't hardly expect to get a job where you go into peoples homes like that. And than wonder why you don't get the job?

Tats are fine as long as you can hide them under a shirt or if on your forearm aren't anything that might be considered vulgar.

I worked for a service shop where one of the young guys with tatoos that went up his neck and five or six piercings in each ear went to an elderly ladies house for a troubleshoot at a panel. He fixed the problem, closed up the panel and the lady accused him of stealing one of her breakers. She would not let him leave and my boss had to go out and show her that it was not possible as all the spaces with knockouts removed had breakers in them.

Rewire

ITO said:
The point I was trying to make is that is all about impressions and guys that come to job interviews reeking of cologne give me a bad impression. This is construction and it makes me wonder who they are trying to impress.
I would think if he were looking for work it would be you he was trying to impress,unless you have a hawt secretary.

electricalperson

tmbrk said:
I know a couple of guys that have those earlets. Holes bigger than a nickel in their ears.

I'm all for freedom of expression, but you can't hardly expect to get a job where you go into peoples homes like that. And than wonder why you don't get the job?

Tats are fine as long as you can hide them under a shirt or if on your forearm aren't anything that might be considered vulgar.

I worked for a service shop where one of the young guys with tatoos that went up his neck and five or six piercings in each ear went to an elderly ladies house for a troubleshoot at a panel. He fixed the problem, closed up the panel and the lady accused him of stealing one of her breakers. She would not let him leave and my boss had to go out and show her that it was not possible as all the spaces with knockouts removed had breakers in them.
he was probably not a problem with that customer. the lady was probably already crazy. to me i dont think any different of a person that has piercings or a lot of tattoos. i look more at there personallity. i have a lot of tattoos and im sure people think im some criminal or whatever when they first see me. ive seen a few nasty people that didnt have one tattoo or piercing. if the person wants to learn and work and takes pride in what they do ill hire them in a second.

Status
Not open for further replies.