Appropriate Attire For An Interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmbrk

electricalperson said:
he was probably not a problem with that customer. the lady was probably already crazy. to me i dont think any different of a person that has piercings or a lot of tattoos. i look more at there personallity. i have a lot of tattoos and im sure people think im some criminal or whatever when they first see me. ive seen a few nasty people that didnt have one tattoo or piercing. if the person wants to learn and work and takes pride in what they do ill hire them in a second.

He was a good guy and a good tech. I liked working with him.

But we did give him a hard time about that one (which he laughed about too):grin:

ITO

Rewire said:
I would think if he were looking for work it would be you he was trying to impress,unless you have a hawt secretary.

Are you saying I think burly men in work clothes are hawt?

All kidding aside you hit on what I was hinting at; if he is preoccupied enough with making sure he impresses the secretary (or any other woman at the job or office), he is not there to work.

Last edited:

charlie tuna

i actually had a guy working for me that i had to hide!!! great worker, but appearance was unbelievable!!! we worked in high rise law offices and when he walked past an attorney's office with the door open the attorney would get up out of his chair to find out "where that bum came from?" single and lived with his dog!! his truck looked like something the army scrapped !!! great worker though........

Rewire

ITO said:
Are you saying I think burly men in work clothes are hawt?

All kidding aside you hit on what I was hinting at; if he is preoccupied enough with making sure he impresses the secretary (or any other woman at the job or office), he is not there to work.
With most of our commercial accounts the office manager is our contact so an employee who can impress the ecretary will often pay off in future calls I prefer a worker with people skills.I like when customers call for a tech by name it shows me that they care about what they are doing give me three slow guys that smell good and get repeat calls against one fast worker who doesn't.

ITO

Funny how you equate cologne with smelling good, they are not the same. Bathing in cologne will never substitute bathing with water; soap is your friend.

I don't care about aftershave or even mild scents but the issue I have are the guys whose cologne is so strong I can still smell them in my office long after they were turned back. Whether or not they are attempting to mask bad hygiene or bumbling an attempt to impress the ladies is not really important, I don't hire them.

Last edited:

Rewire

ITO said:
Funny how you equate cologne with smelling good, they are not the same. Bathing in cologne will never substitute bathing with water; soap is your friend.

I don't care about aftershave or even mild scents but the issue I have are the guys whose cologne is so strong I can still smell them in my office long after they were turned back.
Of course their is a small segment of the population who even though they practice good hygene have a difficult time with body odor and use cologne to help, sounds like an ADA lawsuit or an episode of Boston Leagal.

ITO

You think I tell people why I did not hire them?

Here is what I say:
Thank you for coming but I am going to turn you back. As per the agreement I am not obligated to give you a reason. Good luck with finding work, good bye.

#1 Rule of business.
Anything you say can and will be taken out of context, twisted, edited, misunderstood, misquoted or adulterated in some way and used against you.

Why do you think I come here and spout off? It's because I can't say jack around the people that work for me.

BTW I did get sued once for firing an Alcoholic, it turns out Alcoholisms is a disablity and by not giving the drunk an opportunity to get treatment and make accommodations for his disease I was discriminating against him. Yeah, I keep my mouth shut at work a lot now.

tonyou812

jnsane84 said:
Why the discrimination against "extraneous holes in one's body parts"? I suppose that by not having the extra holes that makes one a better electrician or better tradesperson? I'm not attempting to cause an argument but I dont see the validity of that being a factor when a person is considered for employment. :-?
Its not that you (the boss) might be discriminating, but try to picture your self as some hot shot advertising guru or big time lawyer or the best cardiact doctor around and you have this really great office with big time clients coming in all the time and they are all smartly dressed. And then one of your guys goes walking by with two big holes in their ears and metal stuck in many parts of their face and dressed like a homeless person. Im not saying that you should do anything but imagine what is going though your clients mind.Hey if they dont mind then you shouldnt mind. But if you ever had clients that just stopped calling you then maybe its something to consider.

tmbrk

I agree with ITO and know where he's coming from.

The state I live in is a right to hire state. You can terminate anyone's employment for no reason at all. It is to your benefit not to give them any reason or they could try to use it in litigation.

I once saw a waiter get fired at a restaurant owned by an acquaintance of mine. The waiter kept asking the owner why he was firing him and the owner just kept telling him that he was fired and was not allowed on the property ever again. The owner later told me that his lawyer instructed him in what to say and that he was not to give any reason for the firing.

active1

I was told a good rule of thumb for most any type of job is to dress a bit better than what you would wear to work in that job.

Such as instead of older jeans, T-shirt, and work boots wear new jeans or caki pants, nicer dress shirt, and more casual boots.

Status
Not open for further replies.