Bath receptacle in bathtub space???

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickboy1375

lpelectric said:
Not exactly. There's another thing I can do as an inspector. I can offer suggestions on how to minimize the potential for an electrical hazard. I can help the installer and the homeowner consider what's necessary for safety. The solution may not necessarily be convenient, but perhaps a little safer. It is my duty and obligation to examine factors that contribute to the practical safeguarding of persons from conditions that are potentially hazardous. :smile:

Don't even think about offering suggestions, just a pass/fail please....

iwire

Staff member
stickboy1375 said:
holy crap you guys KILL me!

Too much time on my hands, its ticking away with my sanity
Ive got too much time on my hands, its hard to believe such a calamity
Ive got too much time on my hands and its ticking away from me

stickboy1375

iwire said:
Too much time on my hands, its ticking away with my sanity
Ive got too much time on my hands, its hard to believe such a calamity
Ive got too much time on my hands and its ticking away from me

That was way to funny!!!:grin: :grin: :grin:

M. D.

stickboy1375 said:
How do you know the HO didn't want the receptacle in the backsplash? Anyways its fine where it is, its not above the tub so its not a violation... time to move on to the next one... holy crap you guys KILL me!

It's all good,.. this guy is an inspector I'm just trying to educate him. Just be thankfull there is no wall sconce on the wall above the tub:smile: :grin:

Occupation
Inspector
mistermudd said:
... If you were an inspector how would you call this one? Bath tub is to the right. And if you had to move the receptacle where would you put it?...

Is this an actual Inspection?
Is this just a dsicussion question?

The reason I ask, the outlet may have been there before the tub was installed. A bathroom remodel.

Is it a violation, I think so.

stickboy1375

1793 said:

The reason I ask, the outlet may have been there before the tub was installed. A bathroom remodel.

C'mon man, is the outlet over the tub or not? it really is THAT easy...

M. D.

stickboy1375 said:
That needs to be gfi protected right? ;) :grin:

I wonder what "suggestions" he would give if a wall light were installed in a shower stall subject to shower spay and everything:rolleyes:

stickboy1375

M. D. said:
I wonder what "suggestions" he would give if a wall light were installed in a shower stall subject to shower spay and everything:rolleyes:

I dont know, but I have a hard enough time keeping HO's crazy ideas out of their head let alone a inspector come to the job and start sharing his crazy ideas... :grin:

If I dont meet code, then I dont meet code. But, if I do meet code, dont EVER tell a HO it would be safer (In your opinion) to do the job differently...

Last edited:

Mike03a3

lpelectric said:
You're right that I would not allow the receptacle where it is shown in the photo.

<snip>
  • One need not be too bright-headed to figure out that the small platform immediately surrounding and an integral part of the structure that holds the tub in place, is part of the tub space. Play with words all you want. Because an electrician would want to wrangle over whether an outlet is "above" the actual tub, when the structure holding the tub is part of the tub enclosure....just indicates to me an unwillingness to be a part of the solution...and remain a part of the problem....not the kind of electrician I would develop any respect for.

Who are you and what did you do with the LPELECTRIC who wrote these words?

lpelectric said:
A bathtub doesn't have a "stall" according to the language of the code. "bathtub or showerstall" phrase has the word "or" meaning one or the other. It could have been worded "bathtub stall and shower stall", or it could have been worded "bathtub and showerstall", but it wasn't.

I agree with iwire that the receptacle is not "over" the tub. :smile:

You had it right when you said "bathtub" stands on its own, now you're saying the receptacle is in a tub "enclosure" or "space". The code says it cannot be OVER the tub. There is no "space", "enclosure" or "stall" involved, and it isn't OVER the tub. I don't like its location, but it is, IMHO, code compliant.

stickboy1375

iwire said:
Are you really that surprised? :grin:

The Taped Wirenuts thread is just about to hit 250 posts. :grin:

Not really... :grin: When i'm at work I try to pay attention to what it would take to start the longest thread ever, and then I come home and its the simplest thing , so simple in fact I overlook it each and everyday... :grin: :grin: :grin:

M. D.

1793 said:

What part of this receptacle is "directly over a bathtub" ????

Right ,..none of it

They used the words "directly over" and still people think it is a measurement from the tub ,..they use the word bathtub and people want to make a new word "Bathtubstall", when a person suggested a measurement it was rejected and the panel recognized that there will be receptacles adjacent to the tub ,... I think I have given up the ghost on this ,.... 14 words ,..one sentance a section that appears to be clearly written and ,...whaaamo ,..substitution mass confusion clouds inside my head ,...were fogging all my engies ,......eyes of porcelien and blue could shock me into sense ......Bye Bye Love ....I have officially lost it

the above was done in jest ,..

iwire

Staff member
lpelectric said:
It is my duty and obligation to examine factors that contribute to the practical safeguarding of persons from conditions that are potentially hazardous. :smile:

Yes, examine not change the rules at will.

It is your 'duty' to enforce only the rules adopted by your area.

Any attempt to enforce more stringent requirements for whatever compelling reason is absolutely wrong.

Occupation
Inspector
M. D. said:
What part of this receptacle is "directly over a bathtub" ????

Right ,..none of it ...I have officially lost it

the above was done in jest ,..

I'm just looking at the small "decking" as part of the tub area.

I had a rather long thread about a TV over the tub that had a small "deck" area and consensus of opinion, I think, it was a violation, who knows? :confused:

mthead

Bath receptacle in bathtub space

Bath receptacle in bathtub space

I'm disappointed-I made to p.8 and still I see everyone arguing the semantics of what constitures the bath/shower zone and where one may install an"outlet"[this term may mean recpt,fixture,or switch/control device]in relation to it.
2002nec-406.8[C]Bathtub and shower space.
A recptacle shall not be installed within a bathtub or shower space.
2002nec410.4[D]bathtub and shower areas=3'horizontally from waters edge;8'vertical from waters surface.

While the naysayers will argue that 410.4 applies specifically to luminaires an inspector will calmly explain that " the bathtub area/zone referenced in 406.8" is only defined in 410.4.
Until the nec decides to define this area more explicitly in reference to all sections of the nec,this is one of those times when the inspector is permitted to "use his head" in his interpretation of code.
Why would anyone want to argue against what is plainly a safety issue here anyway?
Even were it to be gfi protected up the line[by another gfirecpt or gfi brkr],by allowing this installationyou're encouraging the h/owner [who usually needs no added encouragement to do dumb things]to use electrical equipment/appliances/devices in the tub.
Not agood idea as I recall and generally one that would make any lawyer smile.

M. D.

1793 said:
I'm just looking at the small "decking" as part of the tub area.

I had a rather long thread about a TV over the tub that had a small "deck" area and consensus of opinion, I think, it was a violation, who knows? :confused:

It does not say directly above the bathtub area or decking ,...it says what it says ,"directly over a bathtub"
What happend to Charlie's rule ??

Status
Not open for further replies.