Do I have to upgrade to AFCI's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike03a3

McDowellb said:
Agian, you have missed the point. The point is that GFCI's ONLY came in breaker form back in the dark ages. Just like the AFCI's now.

I didn't miss the point, I understand that once upon a time, back in the dim mists of antiquity, about the time the meteor killed off the dinosaurs, GFCI's were only breakers. You have attempted to move the point to ignore the fact that your statement was incorrect. Adding an outlet in a bathroom may or may not require GFCI. It depends on whether or not the outlet is a receptacle.

AFAIK, the bathroom GFCI requirement has always been at the device level, requiring bathroom receptacles to have protection. From it's inception, the bedroom AFCI has always been at the branch circuit level, initially requiring the branch circuit(s) serving bedroom receptacles to have AFCI protection, now requiring the circuit(s) serving all bedroom outlets to have AFCI. I could certainly be wrong, won't be the first time.

The fact that the technology 30 years ago required a CB to provide GFCI protection to the bathroom receptacles, and that the NEC previously required branch circuit protection for bedroom receptacles, effectively mandating an AFCI CB, is an interesting footnote. None of it is relavent to the OP's issue, which is confined to what is allowed when adding to an existing bedroom circuit today.

Today in my jurisdiction, if I were to add an outlet, any outlet, in a bedroom the inspector will require that the CB serving that branch circuit be replaced with an AFCI breaker. Certainly not the case for GFCI in bathrooms, and it never was.

Now, I have a question for all: What, exactly, did the 1975 NEC require with regard to GFCI in a bathroom?

Last edited:

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
OK. Here's the Verse:
1975 NEC
210-8. Ground-Fault Circuit Protection.
(a) Residential Occupancies. For residential occupancies all 120-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere receptacle outlets installed outdoors and in bathrooms shall have ground-fault circuit protection for personel.

Such ground-fault circuit protection may be provided for other circuits, locations, and occupancies, and where used, will provide additional protection against line-to-ground shock hazard.

See Section 215-9 for feeder protection.

(b) Construction Sites. . . . . .
215-9. Ground-Fault Personnel Protection. Feeders supplying 15- and 20-ampere receptacle branch circuits may be protected by a ground-fault circuit-interrupter approved for the purpose in lieu of the provisions for such interrupters as specified in Section 210-8.

Minuteman

al hildenbrand said:
OK, then!

"Similar" = resembling

not:

"Same as" or "identical to"

The narrow attention to AFCI protection being for "circuits" is straining at a gnat, and not including the requirement that the circuit must have an outlet, the location of which triggers the Code language.

"Circuits", may not have been the best choice of words to illustrate the fact that AFCI protection is required for more than the receptacle outlets. Beds require AFCI for all 15-20 amp 120 volt outlets, which include light fixture outlets. Now, I do not know of a way to provide AFCI for light fixture outlets without inadvertintly providing AFCI protection for the switch as well. Thus, the bed "circuits" have AFCI protection.

Baths, must have GFCI protection for all 15-20 amp 120 volt receptacles outlets. NEC does not require any GFCI protection for the light fixture outlets. Some local jurisdictions do however, near showers and tubs.

Therefore, I still stand upon the fact that there is a difference between NEC AFCI requirements and GFCI requirements inspite of their simulaity.

Status
Not open for further replies.