enclosed service mast

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
To paraphrase Jerry McGuire, "Show me the Specific language." :grin:

I already did a number of times.:roll:

Your grinning but I may have to bail out of this one as this is the most ridiculous argument I have had the displeasure of being a part of.

I am stupefied that you think I can run service conductors an unlimited distance inside a structure without complying with 230.6 I am literally shocked that you of all people do not see any hazard in doing so. You make me question your commonsense. :confused:

mxslick

Sorry you feel that way Bob but I am surrounded by literally millions of installations that totally disagree with your position, in one of the most restrictive code enforcement jurisdictions in the country so regardless of what you (or I for that matter) feel about this issue is is a permitted practice and NO one has been able to produce the proper language in the Code to make all of those millions of installs Code violations.

As you have told others (and as you have told me in the past in fact) if the discussion bothers you that much then don't bother reading it anymore. :roll:

Others in this thread have also disagreed with your position and I don't see you questioning their common sense. :roll:

Like I said before this will be another topic that you and I can agree to disagree on. :cool: I can live with that.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Whatever, keep your blinders on :roll:

You sure seem to have an angry tone to many of your posts, where you are not in agreement with others. As a "moderator" shouldn't yours be a NON- combative voice ?

They say petting a dog can help calm stress, maybe you need two dogs.

Volta

Can you cite the specific sections prohibiting it?
Assuming this riser is "inside", why wouldn't you accept 230.71(A)(1)?

Do you actually think that this is the "nearest" the disconnect can be installed to the point of entrance?

...The main argument to support the issue is whether or not the conductors contained within the riser are considered as "within the building" by being in an exterior wall cavity. :grin:
To me, that can be the only argument.
But here's the kicker: After reading the entire Section for services 600v nominal or less, nowhere in that Section 230 is a prohibition of Service Conductors inside the building.
Agreed, the is no outright prohibition, but there are restrictions.

IMO, the biggest is the actual requirement that the disconnect be located at the nearest point to the entrance of the conductors. The implication is that we actually connect the conductors to the disconnect at that point, without long loops first. Not written well, but pretty clear just the same.
If this is a violation, please explain UL listed semi-flush all-in-one's & metercans that are so common here in CA.
That picture looked as if a lateral could easily be brought in the bottom of the meter section outside the structure. Am I wrong?

Otherwise, I think Don summed it up pretty well.
230.70.(A)(1) prohibits service conductors inside the building...
No, it doesn't.
230.70(A)(1) requires the disconnecting means to be nearest the point of entrance. Once the conductors reach the disconnecting means they are no longer service conductors they are feeders and can run as far as you want.

Up to the disconecting means which is required to be where the SCs enter the building.
Now I have to go ...
How's your hand :roll:?
As a manufacturer, who makes non-listed LFMC (a product that has been required to be listed since the 1996 code), explained to me one day when I asked about the product...there is no violation in selling the product...the violation only comes when you install it.

Exactly.

To recap and paraphrase: The disconnect, if not outside, is required to be installed nearest the point of entrance of the service conductors. 230.71(A)(1).

As far as I can tell, there are only three ways to go.
We can debate "inside".
We can debate whether or not the service conductors are required to be brought directly to the disconnect.
We can debate what "nearest" means in this section.

We cannot debate the relative location of the disconnect. If inside, it is required to be nearest the point of entrance of the service conductors.

Last edited:

mxslick

Assuming this riser is "inside", why wouldn't you accept 230.71(A)(1)?

Do you actually think that this is the "nearest" the disconnect can be installed to the point of entrance?

To me, that can be the only argument.

Agreed, the is no outright prohibition, but there are restrictions.

IMO, the biggest is the actual requirement that the disconnect be located at the nearest point to the entrance of the conductors. The implication is that we actually connect the conductors to the disconnect at that point, without long loops first. Not written well, but pretty clear just the same.

That picture looked as if a lateral could easily be brought in the bottom of the meter section outside the structure. Am I wrong?

Volta, Precisely because there seems to be no agreement that the riser is technically inside the building. For example, since there is a wall separating the riser in my apartment from the inside of my bedroom, that would by definition make the riser outside of my bedroom, and by default, outside the building as far as I am concerned.

And for an overhead service, at the bottom of the mast is the "nearest practical point" of installation for a disconnect or the meter/main combo.

There are several commercial properties down the road from me where the service drop attaches to the FRONT of the building, and the service wiring proceeds to the REAR of the building (a run of 50-60 feet depending on the building) in RGS, exposed and anchored in the roof trusses before hitting the main disconnect and switchgear there. This practice again is very common, but, for the record, even though it would still pass here, the POCO itself is going to underground on ALL new commercial installs here. So it may be said that the POCO is mandating a change..but if the property is rebuilt (as was a motor repair shop with that same style service) they ARE allowed to rebuild as original. ( The motor shop burned down when the varnish dipping vat overheated and caught fire.)

My point from the beginning is that there are NO OUTRIGHT PROHIBITIONS, and the AHJ (or POCO) has latitude in what is and is not acceptable, but the CODE is not clear or explicit in this case. Not written well is a huge understatement in this case.

As for the picture of the semi-flush, no you cannot get a lateral or riser externally, the shadows make an optical illusion, it only projects out from the wall by about 2" or less.

To recap and paraphrase: The disconnect, if not outside, is required to be installed nearest the point of entrance of the service conductors. 230.71(A)(1).

As far as I can tell, there are only three ways to go.
We can debate "inside".
We can debate whether or not the service conductors are required to be brought directly to the disconnect.
We can debate what "nearest" means in this section.

We cannot debate the relative location of the disconnect. If inside, it is required to be nearest the point of entrance of the service conductors.

Exactly. And all this acrimony centers around the locations of the disconnect, not the service conductors that feed it. The topic is the service conductors, NOT the disconnect. That's why I refuse to accept 230.71(A)(1) as a valid prohibition in this discussion.

Volta

Volta, Precisely because there seems to be no agreement that the riser is technically inside the building. For example, since there is a wall separating the riser in my apartment from the inside of my bedroom, that would by definition make the riser outside of my bedroom, and by default, outside the building as far as I am concerned.
I hope there is never a fire in the lobby to change your mind.
And for an overhead service, at the bottom of the mast is the "nearest practical point" of installation for a disconnect or the meter/main combo.
I know that we do have to use a little practicality here, but no one is forced to install the riser other than on the surface. Therefore the bottom of the riser is a fine place for a disconnect, and the service conductors can remain completely outside of the building envelope too. That is just as practical, and absolutely meets 230.71(A)(1), instead of maybe complies.
There are several commercial properties down the road from me where the service drop attaches to the FRONT of the building, and the service wiring proceeds to the REAR of the building (a run of 50-60 feet depending on the building) in RGS, exposed and anchored in the roof trusses before hitting the main disconnect and switchgear there. This practice again is very common, but, for the record, even though it would still pass here, the POCO itself is going to underground on ALL new commercial installs here. So it may be said that the POCO is mandating a change..but if the property is rebuilt (as was a motor repair shop with that same style service) they ARE allowed to rebuild as original. ( The motor shop burned down when the varnish dipping vat overheated and caught fire.)
But neither 'done a lot', nor allowed by the local POCO, nor allowed by CA has anything to do with compliance with the NEC.
My point from the beginning is that there are NO OUTRIGHT PROHIBITIONS, and the AHJ (or POCO) has latitude in what is and is not acceptable, but the CODE is not clear or explicit in this case. Not written well is a huge understatement in this case.
Huge? All I see as unwritten is the requirement to actually connect the entering conductors to the disconnect where they enter. But I see no way to claim that the intent of doing so is unclear.

Tell me what other meaning that section could possibly have.
As for the picture of the semi-flush, no you cannot get a lateral or riser externally, the shadows make an optical illusion, it only projects out from the wall by about 2" or less.
Maybe so, but are there provisions for entry in that bottom? Maybe they are designed and intended for use with a thinner siding.
Exactly. And all this acrimony centers around the locations of the disconnect, not the service conductors that feed it. The topic is the service conductors, NOT the disconnect. That's why I refuse to accept 230.71(A)(1) as a valid prohibition in this discussion.
The topic very well includes the disconnect, as that is by definition the load end of the service conductors. 230.71(A)(1) remains perfectly valid.

iwire

Staff member
iwire said:
230.70.(A)(1) prohibits service conductors inside the building...

No, it doesn't.

Well played. :roll:

Can I enter the service conductors for a 10 store building in the basement without regard for 230.6 run the conductors up to the tenth floor to the service disconnect?

No

What stops me from doing so?

230.70(A)(1)

So 230.70(A)(1) while not specifically stating a length prohibits service conductors from running lets say 'unrestricted' in the building.

How's your hand :roll:?

Fine thanks for asking, my real job can be extremely stressful at times and sometimes when people try to tell me the sky is green and the grass is blue I get kind of uppity.:grin:

mxslick

iwire said:
So 230.70(A)(1) while not specifically stating a length prohibits service conductors from running lets say 'unrestricted' in the building.

(Bolds added by me.)

That's exactly my point Bob..The average length of conductors in a single story riser that would fall inside a wall is 3 feet or less depending on construction. In the case of my apartment building which is two stories that length is closer to 10-12 feet.

In your jurisdiction, where I believe SE cable is common, if you have the meter base outside and the panel/disconnect inside, what is the length of SE allowed to join the two? Does your jurisdiction specify a specific maximum? Or is it as the Code is worded "nearest practical point"?

If service conductors were specifically prohibited in a building then EVERY service would then be forced to be a back-to-back with the meter base and the panel/disconnect. From all the photos and discussions on this site and others we know that to NOT be true. Can we at least agree on this point of the discussion?

Volta

(Bolds added by me.)

That's exactly my point Bob..The average length of conductors in a single story riser that would fall inside a wall is 3 feet or less depending on construction. In the case of my apartment building which is two stories that length is closer to 10-12 feet.

In your jurisdiction, where I believe SE cable is common, if you have the meter base outside and the panel/disconnect inside, what is the length of SE allowed to join the two? Does your jurisdiction specify a specific maximum? Or is it as the Code is worded "nearest practical point"?
Or something like that :cool:.
If service conductors were specifically prohibited in a building then EVERY service would then be forced to be a back-to-back with the meter base and the panel/disconnect. From all the photos and discussions on this site and others we know that to NOT be true. Can we at least agree on this point of the discussion?
Nope. If service conductors were specifically prohibited in a building, then any installation with the disconnect inside would be a violation. Back-to-back would not be allowed.

But I think most us agree that they can enter the building. If so, the only words we can play with are "inside", and "nearest".

Volta

As far as I know, our area will generally accept up to ten feet. But I don't know if that was properly ammended or not.

I don't feel that the NEC allows ten feet. From a strict reading, it seems obvious. With an even stricter reading, the conductors don't need to be connected to the disconnect nearest the point of entrance, just that we must mount the disconnect there. With a more resonable reading, in my opinion, I can accept an implied practicality, and feel that longer distances could be contemplated. But the words don't actually state that. They say "nearest".

jwjrw

There are many houses in NC with the riser inside the wall. I hate having to upgrade them but I have done a few. The weatherhead on this one seems to be non existent.

Before this thread I had never even heard of a riser being in a wall. Now you tell me they are in NC ! :grin: Different areas do different things I guess.

mivey

Nope. If service conductors were specifically prohibited in a building, then any installation with the disconnect inside would be a violation. Back-to-back would not be allowed.

But I think most us agree that they can enter the building. If so, the only words we can play with are "inside", and "nearest".
That is why it is such a slippery slope. I have seen inspectors say "6 feet" "same stud space" "do what you can". It appears to be written that way to leave it up to the AHJ but we all know that can be inconsistent as all get-out.

Personally, if they are not back-to-back, I would rather see a disconnect outside.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
That is the exactly the case for some jurisdictions where the code wording is strictly enforced. Many others have local rules that specify an maximum length. For my area that is 10'. Other areas have unwritten rules that limit the length to "x" feet. Still others have taken it a bit farther and require the means of disconnect to be outside of the building.

mxslick

That is the exactly the case for some jurisdictions where the code wording is strictly enforced. Many others have local rules that specify an maximum length. For my area that is 10'. Other areas have unwritten rules that limit the length to "x" feet. Still others have taken it a bit farther and require the means of disconnect to be outside of the building.

This all implies that indeed the Code wording is flawed and that there is NO specific prohibition as there is latitude that varies depending on jurisdiction.

From the strictest safety standpoint, I can agree that unfused conductors inside (or attached to for that matter) ANY structure can be a fire hazard....but history and statistical data has NOT shown it to be the horror show that some are making it out to be.

What would be safest? Easy. Make the POCO provide a fused disconnect at the pole or install fuse blocks on the pole to protect the drop. We all know the odds of that happening. :roll:

All the houses/apartments I have lived in (with the exception on my homes in Ohio) have all had overhead services with enclosed risers. I have never given them a second thought. And they are still allowed to be installed here.

iwire

Staff member
but history and statistical data has NOT shown it to be the horror show that some are making it out to be.

Please point out the 'horror stories' that 'some are making it out to be'.

All I have said is it ridiculous to think that unused service conductors in a wall are as safe as outside the building.

No horror stories, no smoldering wreckage.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Exactly. And seems a lot of others feel the same way. :grin:

I employ common sense in evaluating a hazard, and sorry but I don't think a service riser is a hazard.

Can you cite the specific sections prohibiting it?

Just look at how many on here find SE cable absurd and dangerous, (I for the record don't) and is it not common practice in your area? How many failures have you seen?

Literally millions of homes here in So. Cal are wired with in-wall risers as my apartment is, and even as little as a few years ago a riser within a wall will pass inspection here. I'll check with my inspector friend (seeing him tomorrow at Ren Fest) and see if it is still accepted practice here.

In fact I have the SCE Handbook for services and risers in the wall are still accepted by them.

Other than a few dramatic videos on YouTube, I and my inspector friend have never seen a riser failure, and that's over a combined 60+ years of experience.

The Code has a lot of things right, (In fact I will say a good 99+%) but there are the few things that are either dead wrong or simply absurd. (Like conductor requirements for film projectors.)

To put it another way, I feel about this issue as you feel about panels in bedrooms, which is to say it's not an issue.

We will agree to disagree on this one I guess. :grin:

As Slick said, here we do it all the time. The POCO's all want RMC.

The only accident I have ever seen was when a guy drilled into it, but then he drilled into it on purpose trying to steal power. We never could figure out what he thought he was going to do once he got the hole drilled.

mivey

I do not think anyone has disputed it is a very common method in CA. :)

Maybe he thought it was like tapping a tree and he would just hang a bucket under it. :grin:
We had a case in Georgia where the service ran through the attic ahead of the meter. A home-owner tapped the line and put in a relay system that would drop the tapped load when the meter was pulled. It was not found until the house was sold and the new owner wanted to know what the contraption in the attic was for. As you might imagine, drops through attics are frowned upon now-a-days.

Status
Not open for further replies.