Grounding a mast

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've never done this before but I'm just curious as to whether it can be done without violating an NEC section. I've been asked to repair a service drop at a house that was damaged by Hurricane Sandy (yeah, she waited until now to call me when it's 5 degrees outside). Anyway, this woman doesn't have a lot of $$ so I'm trying to do this the least expensive way I can. The town inspector came by and told her she needed a mast installed and a new meter enclosure. Can I install a 2" gal conduit through the roof, come out under the eave and secure the conduit to the house but not run the gal all the way to the meter enclosure ? It's only a 100 amp service and I want to use SE cable inside the conduit. If I install a water pipe ground clamp on the 2" gal just below the service head and bond it to the neutral of the triplex would I be compliant ? This is what the house looks like :

Damage on front of house

Claire-Oakland001_zps9d84580c.jpg

Location of proposed mast on rear side of house just past peak

Claire-Oakland002_zpse4a9deea.jpg

Location of existing meter

Claire-Oakland003_zps5a8d3349.jpg

Hope you can see why I'm not too thrilled about installing threaded pipe. Garbage trucks can't get under the triplex as it is right now.

John120/240

I would get out the heat gun and use a PVC riser. Then support the drop from a ceramic insulator on a screw eye. My gut feeling is that the

rigid metallic conduit needs to be continous to the meter. I have been wrong before .

Last edited:

renosteinke

Why the half-measures? "Economy" doesn't really come into it - you'll spend as much on material, and more in time, trying to find shortcuts.

Set the new base / disco - I'll bet you need a disco out there now - where you will, with a proper mast. Pipe isn't that expensive.

With additional bracing above the roof, you might be able to set it where the existing meter is. Otherwise, just replace the old base with a junction box and run your feeder around and over the window.

Your biggest challenge will be getting a good anchoring through that aluminum siding.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I swear renosteinke sometimes you take the words right out of my mouth. :)

JAP>

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Why the half-measures? "Economy" doesn't really come into it - you'll spend as much on material, and more in time, trying to find shortcuts.
Not sure I'm following you. Economy does come into play if you know the woman is broke and is relying on a local philanthropic agency to pay for a portion of the work.
Set the new base / disco - I'll bet you need a disco out there now - where you will, with a proper mast. Pipe isn't that expensive.
Why would I need a disconnect ?
With additional bracing above the roof, you might be able to set it where the existing meter is. Otherwise, just replace the old base with a junction box and run your feeder around and over the window.
I might do it this way. The problem is I need to get the triplex 18' over the roadway in front of the house.
Your biggest challenge will be getting a good anchoring through that aluminum siding.
You're probably right. Everything about this house looks rotten.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What's the height at the peak on that gable end?
Looks like that may be high enough for all your clearances.
If so, get AHJ approval to install a new POA at the peak, run SEU, and get the local POCO to run new longer lines from the pole.
That was my first inclination but the local EI made a point of telling the HO that she needed a mast, new meter pan and a grounding upgrade.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Why would I need a disconnect ?

It seems a lot of electricians from the south, think that everyone likes to or is required to have disconnects outside with the meter.
I guess they don't realize how common outdoor sockets and indoor disconnects really are, nor how many northern residential installations use cable instead of pipes.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
This Southern Boy tends to take offense to everything you just assumed we didnt realize.

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
It seems a lot of electricians from the south, think that everyone likes to or is required to have disconnects outside with the meter.
I guess they don't realize how common outdoor sockets and indoor disconnects really are, nor how many northern residential installations use cable instead of pipes.

This Southerner always considered "Outdoor Sockets" pretty common,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, or do you keep yours indoors out of the weather?
We're so dumb down here, maybe you ought to enlighten us....

Smart $

Esteemed Member
That was my first inclination but the local EI made a point of telling the HO that she needed a mast, new meter pan and a grounding upgrade.
Another perspective that has yet to be mentioned is POCO requirements. While what was there may have sufficed when it was installed, POCO requirements may have changed since then... and may well be why the inspector is making stipulations not mandated by NEC. The other side of the coin is that simply repairing the existing service drop and entrance to pre-existing condition should be all that is required.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Another perspective that has yet to be mentioned is POCO requirements. While what was there may have sufficed when it was installed, POCO requirements may have changed since then... and may well be why the inspector is making stipulations not mandated by NEC. The other side of the coin is that simply repairing the existing service drop and entrance to pre-existing condition should be all that is required.
You're probably right but I can't do that under present circumstances. The HO is not getting the front of the roof repaired until some time late spring. From what I've experienced so far she'll probably wait until the rainy season.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Could you not stand a mast straight up from the meter and guy it back to the other roof? Ugly but functional.
I'm not able to install the mast at the current meter location but you just gave me an idea. I can relocate the new meter enclosure on the house between the two windows (see second photo), install the mast straight up and then run SEU cable out the side of the meter enclosure and up and around the windows and enter the house where the current meter enclosure is. Tnx.

Hendrix

I'm not able to install the mast at the current meter location but you just gave me an idea. I can relocate the new meter enclosure on the house between the two windows (see second photo), install the mast straight up and then run SEU cable out the side of the meter enclosure and up and around the windows and enter the house where the current meter enclosure is. Tnx.
I think that was already suggested. Tis what I would do:D

My POCO prohibits SEU within 3' of windows. Suggest checking with yours.

A run of PVC from the meter to the panel would be the required minimum here. Un-fused SE is not allowed to be exposed below 10' (local rule)

The "under 10' rule" is only in certain circumstances around here, to prohibit physical damage(like in an alley between buildings, etc.).

From what I understand, the window rule is so SEU isn't grabbed onto as an escape route in the event of a fire.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.