If You Where The Inspector

Status
Not open for further replies.

mh183

contractor replaces main panel and puts the old breakers in to the new panel . the inspector asks when checking the service are all the breakers new?
the electrical contractor states that he is trying to save the home owner as much as he can, so he reused the old explained it to the homeowner. the inspector raises the question, did he say he is making you a special price and reusing the old breakers which is a code violation. the home owner said he is an old friend and said in the beginning he would do his best pricing but did not reference the old breakers.
sounds simple just tell the electrical contractor to install only new material .
the home owner will just be hit with the bill, the contractor will say he tried to help but it did not work
and the homeowner with finance l issues gets hurt
what would you do

peter d

If the breakers are the same brand and listed for use in the new panel, then I have no problem with this as long as the customer knows what they are paying for.

Jljohnson

Re-using an "old" breaker is not a code violation as long as it is listed for panel in which it is installed. We do this all the time, typically when the original contractor for the house cheaps out and uses the smallest panel he can find, then I get a contract to finish the basement. Pretty easy panel swap to go from 24 space to 30 space.

ultramegabob

what business is it of the inspector, whatever the wheelings and dealings of payment and materials being used whether it is new or re-used as long as it is listed and in good operating condition? the inspector needs to stick to his job of enforcing code, and keep his nose out of the business of the contractor and customer....

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
iwire said:
Does it meet code or not?

Are the reused breakers correct for the new panel?

exactly.
beyond that, it's none of my business.

sandsnow

augie47 said:
exactly.
beyond that, it's none of my business.

I'm good with that up to a point. I will not stand by and watch some poor little old lady be ripped off by some fly by night contractor. Extreme example I guess, but I hope my point comes across.

It is just the right thing to do.

kkwong said:
If breakers are good and listed for use with that panel...what's the problem?

First off, in our jurisdiction, it is not the inspectors job to discuss what the issues are between the customer and contractor. That is sort of being just plain nosey. Our title is Electrical inspector.

But...what I have marked in Blue...how does one know if the used breakers are operating properly?????

kkwong

Pierre C Belarge said:
First off, in our jurisdiction, it is not the inspectors job to discuss what the issues are between the customer and contractor. That is sort of being just plain nosey. Our title is Electrical inspector.

I agree there. I was saying that in general that when you see old breakers in a new panel then you assume (I know don't beat me up too bad) that the breakers being reused are part of the agreement.

But...what I have marked in Blue...how does one know if the used breakers are operating properly?????

From what I have seen and from my own experiance we would ohm and test and look for any signs of pitting or melting on the breakers to be reused and if there was any doubt we would inform the customer that we had doubts that a breaker would operate and go from there.

Edit to add: Wouldn't you do this if it was your license number on the permit?

Last edited:
sandsnow said:
I'm good with that up to a point. I will not stand by and watch some poor little old lady be ripped off by some fly by night contractor. Extreme example I guess, but I hope my point comes across.

It is just the right thing to do.
That aint your business, and inspectons that turn customer against contractor in that regard may very well relsult in a legal matter.

jerm

Copperclad said:
inspectons that turn customer against contractor in that regard may very well relsult in a legal matter.

you thinking defamation of character or something else? that came to mind... I'm no lawyer though.

Jim W in Tampa

I think that inspector is about to be fired after i sue the county who was stupid enough to hire him.Plain and simple he has steped over the line.Unless they are not listed for the panel he needs stomped on hard.I give no breaks to uneducated inspectors that tarnish my name.If they dont know the job then dont take it

frizbeedog

Jim W in Tampa said:
I think that inspector is about to be fired after i sue the county who was stupid enough to hire him.Plain and simple he has steped over the line.Unless they are not listed for the panel he needs stomped on hard.I give no breaks to uneducated inspectors that tarnish my name.If they dont know the job then dont take it

:mad: :mad: :mad:

You forgot the smiles. :wink:

Have you heard of decaffinated coffee? :smile: :smile: :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.