If You Where The Inspector

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandsnow

kkwong said:
The EI's job is to ensure that the job is done to code.

I didn't know I had so many supervisors!!! Interesting that so many people know exactly what my job is, but I do not work for any of them.

How about this:

Part of my job is to remove signs such as "bridal show" and "gun show" that are posted on utility poles or in medians.

To all my "other supervisors", please call my supervisor and tell him that I am only supposed to enforce the electrical code.

Seriously, I am not out there investigating contractor/owner financial dealings. I would only act if I happened to find out about a crime being committed.

kkwong

sandsnow said:
I didn't know I had so many supervisors!!! Interesting that so many people know exactly what my job is, but I do not work for any of them.

Edit to add: Isn't that my job as a fire inspector; to ensure work/buildings meet the code? Everyday I run in to people that think they know my job, too

It was a broad statement. I apologize if I offended.

Last edited:

mh183

what really happened

what really happened

THIS REALLY WENT IN A LOT OF DIRECTIONS

first of all the electrical inspector never talked about financial issues.
never asked how much was saved by using the old breakers.
only was not sure a code was violated by using old breakers.
he came back to say they where listed for the old box and are listed for the new one and it passed.
and did not bash the contractor to the homeowner. only explained his question.

reading through the replies there are a lot of very smart people responding
thank you for your point of view

kkwong

mh183 said:
THIS REALLY WENT IN A LOT OF DIRECTIONS

We try to please :D

only was not sure a code was violated by using old breakers.
he came back to say they where listed for the old box and are listed for the new one and it passed.
and did not bash the contractor to the homeowner. only explained his question.

Sometimes we read too much in to the OP...and we get off on tangents...

reading through the replies there are a lot of very smart people responding
thank you for your point of view

Thanks! :) and you're welcome.

sandsnow

kkwong said:
Edit to add: Isn't that my job as a fire inspector; to ensure work/buildings meet the code? Everyday I run in to people that think they know my job, too

It was a broad statement. I apologize if I offended.

No apology needed. Yours just happened to be the most convenient thread to quote from.

I find it hilarious that on this as with other threads so many people know what my job is, yet they have never read my job description or seen my performance review objectives.

Another fun fact:

My job is also to stop people from doing improper concrete washout.

kkwong

sandsnow said:
My job is also to stop people from doing improper concrete washout.

Are you a FI, too? ;) :cool:

I was recently called by an annonymous citizen who was concerned that her spigot for her house didn't have a vacuum breaker on it.

I think we could start a thread on what inspectors aren't. :D

crossman

The cuurent Texas laws and rules for licensing of electricians contains a "code of conduct" which deals with how an electrician or EC deals with his customers.... must be honest, etc etc in dealing with customers.

So, I would guess that it would be within the Inspector's job description to insure that the EC was not ripping off the customer.

As for re-using the existing breakers, I don't see that as a big issue myself.

Jim W in Tampa

Inspecters that go beyond there job title could find themself in court.Do your job and nothing more.If job is enforce nec then stop there.Yours is not to judge price ,quality or anything else.Soon as you cross that line your open to being sued.

MF Dagger

So is a breaker that has been riding around in the truck for a year or more bouncing around and sitting in the heat still new or is it used? On service calls should we be hanging out every breaker that has tripped? I use the old breakers all the time if they are in good shape. Same way I'll reuse 4 squares and mud rings. Heck given the opportunity I'll reuse a subpanel too. Old subpanels are great for using in garages. Give them a deal on the subpanel and make 100% profit on something that was destined for the scrap yard at best and the landfill at worst. Waste not want not. I reused the old breakers in my own house.

ultramegabob

with the logic of not re-using breakers, a customer with a zinsco or federal pacific panel would have to change an entire panel out to add a circuit.

480sparky

Suppose you added a circuit to a panel that had an unused breaker already installed in the panel (very common these days in commercial work)? Would you use it?

480sparky said:
Suppose you added a circuit to a panel that had an unused breaker already installed in the panel (very common these days in commercial work)? Would you use it?

I asked this question the other day and will again.
How is one to know that when reinstallaing an existing breaker, the existing breaker is going to function as originally designed?

In general, with the older panel replacement, how old is the breaker? How much dust has accumulated within the breaker? Is the lubrication of the moving parts still pliable? What kind of load has the breaker been carrying for how many years? Has the breaker been subjected to any large fault currents in the past?

Jim W in Tampa

Pierre C Belarge said:
How is one to know that when reinstallaing an existing breaker, the existing breaker is going to function as originally designed?

In general, with the older panel replacement, how old is the breaker? How much dust has accumulated within the breaker? Is the lubrication of the moving parts still pliable? What kind of load has the breaker been carrying for how many years? Has the breaker been subjected to any large fault currents in the past?

Thats a fair question but then how do we know the new one works ?If it looks ok i will use it.If rusted or has over heated marks i throw it away.

kkwong

Jim W in Tampa said:
Thats a fair question but then how do we know the new one works ?If it looks ok i will use it.If rusted or has over heated marks i throw it away.

Jim, I said the same thing a few posts back. I think the point Pierre is trying to make is that you have less certainty of an old breaker working properly than a new breaker working properly. I'm not changing my position on reusing old breakers, I still will reuse old breakers, but I do concede the point of the uncertainty of reusing them.

Edit to change color

ultramegabob

Pierre C Belarge said:

I hate "How do you know" and "what if" questions, How do you know the breaker wasnt made on a friday?, what if it was dropped in shipping?... you can go on with questions like that back and forth all day....

480sparky

Pierre C Belarge said:

That's my point..... it shouldn't matter if you are using an old breaker in an old panel or a new one. I don't think any of us (with one or two exceptions!) have the ability to accuratly test a breaker. So how do we know if a used one won't work? How do we know a brand-spankin-new one will work? And who, even with the ability to test one properly, tests each and every breaker they work with?

The difference between a new breaker and one that has been in an existing panel for who knows how long and under what conditions is...the manufacturer has a warranty on the "new" breaker out of a box/with a receipt.
The chances of the new breaker operating as designed are statistically better.

One never knows how anything is actually going to work, that would take a clairvoyant.

As an installer, I would think that increasing my odds of an installation to perform as it is installed to perform would be uppermost in my mind.

IMHO - I do not see using old, existing breakers as increasing my odds as stated above.

Status
Not open for further replies.