Inspectors are funny

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Dennis Alwon said:
That is from the handbook I presume which we know isn't code. I agree the wording is there to support you but I still think I would have said no way to the HO. I would say my interpretation says "NO WAY". :D
Its not the handbook, its from Mike Holt which is code. I have yet to see one of his graphics that is wrong.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Inspectors are our friends. The stricter they are the safer our installations are and the better we can sleep at night.

So what if it's on a hay bale instead of a comfy king size bed?

:D Just kidding. All the inspectors I have worked with have been pretty cool. Probably because they have all been electricians an one point in time and know what I have to go through to eek out a meager existence as an electrician.

Jim W in Tampa

My ex partner got caught once out of stupidity he left a 2 foot piece lay on the ground.He had some fun with this few weeks later.He drove his rod full 8 feet and left a short piece laying next to it.Now when the inspector sees this he assumes Charlie cut it.Charlie being what he was tells him it is 8 feet and if you pull it out to check your going to put it back in the ground.

mpd

jim w

after I got done laughing, if he wanted to pass he would have pulled it out and re-driven the rod while I was standing there, or he would of got a red sticker and watched me driving away

Jim W in Tampa

mpd said:
jim w

after I got done laughing, if he wanted to pass he would have pulled it out and re-driven the rod while I was standing there, or he would of got a red sticker and watched me driving away

What number would be on that red tag ?

radiopet

Jim W in Tampa said:
Got to ask,how did you know ?

Jim,

I always tug on rods when doing my walk around, I happen to tug on these and they pulled nearly out of the ground. The only thing holding them was the fact they put a wall strap on the 6 AWG next to the rod so I would only pull it up about 1 foot.....but I have driven my share of rods in my day and pulled quite a few as well so I knew something was wrong....Also he made a few more big mistakes....

1.) He used the flat end on one install and the other one had the pointed end sticking up telling me he just cut it in half....also
2.) Since I got it up 1 foot I noticed the UL listing on the left rod which is always within the top 12 inches.....( except on some non-UL listed versions the 2008 NEC allows now...but I digress )....so I noticed the pointed one did not have the markings.....by then I knew what he did....

Of course I failed him as I also had some other issues........but I did not mention about the rods...pushed them back down and failed the inspection...made a note that I needed to meet him on site for a few questions........in about 1 week he called and we met...

I asked him a few questions and one thing lead to another and I said..."so was this ground tough to drive the rods....it looks rather hard " and he said and I quote " Yeah...it was no cake walk "......then I reached down and pulled on the rods and asked him to visit his truck for a pair of channel locks and to come back and show me 8' of rod.......his eyes got big and did what I asked.....when he got to 4' they popped out...without any effort.....

He then blamed his helper........but trust me.......he has 8' rods in the ground now...;)

mpd

jim w

the 2ft piece of rod laying next to the ground rod, would lead me to believe the rod was cut, just what your buddy wanted me to think, so if he was that dumb he would have to prove it to me, and I would probably fail him and make him wait 3 days for re-inspection and require him to be on site for re-inspection, if he wants to waste my time, I can certainly waste his time & money

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
radiopet said:
He then blamed his helper........but trust me.......he has 8' rods in the ground now...;)

Yeah and it only took 3 of them to drive it too. :D

1998q3_grnd.jpg

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
radiopet said:
lol......that must be a government job....lol

That's not a gov't job, that is Chris Kennedy and the boys. Heck it takes 3 of them to put a light bulb in--- One to hold the bulb while the others turn the ladder. :D I know- that's as old as the hills.

You know I had a dream the other night about a muffler. I woke up exhausted. :D

480sparky

radiopet said:
lol......that must be a government job....lol

Let's see what OSHA has to say about the guy sitting on the top of the ladder. That, and I can't tell if it's a two-sided ladder....:D

Edit to add: Nor do I see any locate flags....

Dennis Alwon said:
That's not a gov't job, that is Chris Kennedy and the boys. Heck it takes 3 of them to put a light bulb in--- One to hold the bulb while the others turn the ladder. :D I know- that's as old as the hills.

Chris can change a light bulb by himself. He grabs the bulb, then drinks 'till the room starts to spin. :D

Last edited:

Jim W in Tampa

mpd said:
jim w

the 2ft piece of rod laying next to the ground rod, would lead me to believe the rod was cut, just what your buddy wanted me to think, so if he was that dumb he would have to prove it to me, and I would probably fail him and make him wait 3 days for re-inspection and require him to be on site for re-inspection, if he wants to waste my time, I can certainly waste his time & money

It's your job to inspect not his.What will you say when it turns out to be 8 feet.

Jim W in Tampa

mayjong said:
no problem, call me when you're ready....

Ok fine,inspect away but be sure you know the number to put on the tag.Lets get real an inspector without code book ? Thats like an electrician without klines.Did meet one that didnt have his book,i said no problem i will get mine.He lost the battle too right in front of 2 supers of the project.

mpd

jim w

your right, after i inspect the rod that he pulled out, and it is 8ft he can have the fun of re-driving back into the ground, while i watch, and I'll bet he would think twice about playing games

Jim W in Tampa

mpd said:
jim w

your right, after i inspect the rod that he pulled out, and it is 8ft he can have the fun of re-driving back into the ground, while i watch, and I'll bet he would think twice about playing games

And he drives it s l o w,And you cant charge for that reinspect.2 can play that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.