Is this a ligitimate installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I was asked to look at this install to duplicate at another nearby site. It is a pump house for the Water district. The Exo serves a transfer switch and main panel inside. I noticed the nuetral wires were in a sperate conduit and run overhead.This seems quite odd. I also noticed no bushings bonding or insulating between the CT section and the Safety switch. I realize it's not energized yet but to remove the wires from the lugs to install bushins can be quite a task with 500's

mainservice001.jpg

IMG]http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm192/Sierrasparky/mainservice003.jpg[/IMG]

mainservice006.jpg

mainservice004.jpg

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Very crafty use of 2 lugs for two neutrals. What do you mean their doubled up?:roll:

If you don't know how to install a fuse, put the top on one side of the buss and the bottom on the other. Your bound to be half right.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
When I asked the owner who had done this. He said why is there something wrong?

iwire

Staff member
Sierrasparky said:
I thought you needed to use a myers hub or something to enter the top of a panel?

A Meyers hub is not the only way.

A sealing lock nut, or gasket as found on many LFMC connectors could also get it done.

I don't see any of those things in your picture.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
If this water pump house is 480v 3 phase, with all loads line to line, the neutral will not carry unbalanced current but it does serve to return the fault current to the source in the event of a line to case short. 300.5 tells us that all conductors must be in the same cable, enclosure or close proximity in a ditch. If not, the magnetic fields do not cancel and the impedance of the circuit is greatly increased. In this application, a line to case fault will not clear quickly or at all.
Also the one lug has two conductors.
Was this inspected?
Whats the fault current? Do the conductors in the CT have to be roped? There is a label inside that Circle AW can that has the roping instructions.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
As far as I know it has. The GEC has not been installed and the EG runs into the CT section.

I just wonder how to compete with this type of workmanship.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
iwire said:
A Meyers hub is not the only way.

A sealing lock nut, or gasket as found on many LFMC connectors could also get it done.

I don't see any of those things in your picture.

A sealing lock nut is only listed for RMC and IMC. Also that EMT connector does not appear to be a listed raintite type, the UL standard changed in 2003, I don't know if there are any diecast raintite, I have only seen steel compression raintite.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
tom baker said:
A sealing lock nut is only listed for RMC and IMC.
What difference would it make if it were on threads of any sort. I don't understand that. It is raintite or it's not or is it because you need one on both sides of the box???

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
tom baker said:
A sealing lock nut is only listed for RMC and IMC. Also that EMT connector does not appear to be a listed raintite type, the UL standard changed in 2003, I don't know if there are any diecast raintite, I have only seen steel compression raintite.

I have die cast raintight in 1/2 not sure they make them in 2". They sure are a pain in the neck to get even a factory end of emt to seat all the way down. Best method I found is to tap the fitting on the conduit then place in the box.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Dennis Alwon said:
What difference would it make if it were on threads of any sort. I don't understand that. It is raintite or it's not or is it because you need one on both sides of the box???

Does anyone have a ref number to the code or standard? Iwould appreciate it.

So then I am to assume that in any case you cannot use a emt fitting or for that matter a PVC male fitting directly into the top of an outdoor enclosure exposed to the weather? ( without sealing device)

iwire

Staff member
tom baker said:

From the 2007 UL white book

Conduit Fittings (DWTT)
Sealing Locknuts ? Sealing locknuts are intended for use with threaded rigid metal conduit and intermediate metal conduit with one sealing locknut in the outside or the inside and either an ordinary locknut or sealing locknut on the opposite side of the enclosure for wet locations or liquidtight applications. Sealing locknuts may also be used with Listed wet location or liquid-tight fittings where so marked on the fitting carton

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Bob I'm not familiar with the UL white book. what jurisdiction does it have in with respect to the NEC.

Can we assume a PVC male connector is a raintight fitting? I was thinking of another install a month ago where this was used.

Status
Not open for further replies.