learning technique for inspectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Only since I've been coming to MH forums have I realized how little I know, I had thought that reading EC and EC&M magazines was enough but it's not.

I failed a rough electrical inspection today.

1. service may not be large enough for future expansion.

2. light switches next to but not above bathtub need to be on GFCI because someone can reach them from in tub.

So I wondered why the inspector thinks these 2 items are NEC violations. He's been an inspector and is now a building official in a town of 35,000 population for 10 years.

So I thought, when he fails a job the electrician makes changes to keep inspector happy, inspector never learns that some of what he thinks is code, isn't.

So I thought, a good way for an inspector to learn would be to give code references, even though I understand that he doesn't have to unless asked.

So if any inspectors are reading this, consider my idea for a new learning technique (although most of the ones reading this are already taking an interest in NEC and probably don't need to).

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
An inspector should give you a code reference but if it's not a violation then what reference can they give you? If they don't give you a reference then you'll need to ask. This could involve them going back to the office, opening the book and trying to find the reference. If it does not exist, like the two that you've mentioned they'll be looking for a long time. The inspectors around here barely have enough to look at the work let alone look things up in the code book.

cadpoint

So I thought.. (from reading the title), I'd learn how to be an inspector!

So you going to make friends over a soda, kool-aid, or are you going to the grind stone ?

Did you pass along a website link ?

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
It's an old building I bought, duplex dwelling. I need to be his friend because he's the everything inspector and can find too much that truly is wrong with structure, division, lead paint, plumbing, etc. So no grind stone this time.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It's an old building I bought, duplex dwelling. I need to be his friend because he's the everything inspector and can find too much that truly is wrong with structure, division, lead paint, plumbing, etc. So no grind stone this time.

So you're going easy on him so he lets you slide on the other problems? Sounds like in that case you're benefiting from either his ignorance or his charity. So you need to decide, challenge him on everything mistake he makes and deal with the down side of that challenge or give him what he wants. Sorry, but IMO you're looking to have it both ways.

jeremysterling

I hear you on the politics of fixing one thing to avoid the other.

Perhaps the inspector is offering you a learning technique for buying real estate!

kwired

Electron manager
...So I thought, a good way for an inspector to learn would be to give code references, even though I understand that he doesn't have to unless asked.

If they can't tell you where it says it is wrong what other proof is there that they are right? Inspectors are people and people make mistakes. I will not let an inspector tell me something is wrong unless he can tell me where it says it is wrong. If he doesn't like something then he can dislike it all he wants, it may be code compliant.

I think a lot of jurisdictions do have to cite what code is in violation, it is only fair to all to have this policy.

If you want to play games with him so he doesn't make you change other things then none of this matters, he is no longer doing his job correctly, he may or may not know it either.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
So you're going easy on him so he lets you slide on the other problems? Sounds like in that case you're benefiting from either his ignorance or his charity. So you need to decide, challenge him on everything mistake he makes and deal with the down side of that challenge or give him what he wants. Sorry, but IMO you're looking to have it both ways.
you're right, I agree

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
If the inspector is wrong there is no reason to not "politely" ask him/her for a code section. I have spent invested a lot of time and work into learning the code and there is no reason an inspector should not know it as well. After all they are being PAID to know the code.

kwired

Electron manager
If the inspector is wrong there is no reason to not "politely" ask him/her for a code section. I have spent invested a lot of time and work into learning the code and there is no reason an inspector should not know it as well. After all they are being PAID to know the code.

I will do that but, if he plays the "I am almighty you will do what I say" role, being nice is now just an option.

So, as a landlord, your plan is that your investment doesn't need to be structurally sound, plumbed properly, or lead free, as long as the electrical makes the inspector happy.

You may want to re-think your long term strategy!

kwired

Electron manager
So, as a landlord, your plan is that your investment doesn't need to be structurally sound, plumbed properly, or lead free, as long as the electrical makes the inspector happy.

You may want to re-think your long term strategy!

Around here all that matters to landlords is that lights work, water works, and HVAC works. Condition of anything else typically is not very important. Tenant may be able to fix something up or paint in trade for rent occasionally.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Stipulating that all that has been said here is true, here's what I was trying to say:

1. Would it be desirable for an inspector to know what the code he is enforcing requires?

2. Would one possible way to work toward that goal be for him to look up violations that he is citing, thereby increasing his knowledge?

RICK NAPIER

I always tell contractors that if I can't quote a code section I won't make you do it. You should always be able to ask an inspector where he got that from just do it nicely such as "For my own edification could you show me where that is?"

kwired

Electron manager
Stipulating that all that has been said here is true, here's what I was trying to say:

1. Would it be desirable for an inspector to know what the code he is enforcing requires?

2. Would one possible way to work toward that goal be for him to look up violations that he is citing, thereby increasing his knowledge?

Does a traffic cop need to know the rules of the road or can he just write citations for things he does not like?

kwired

Electron manager
Thanks to Rick and kwired for their support, as I said earlier probably only the good guys are reading these threads.

You are welcome. This forum mostly only has good guys and I appreciate that. I occasionally visit other forums but I can't stand how everyone treats one another on most of them. Nothing like seeing someone asking a question and having someone respond by totally demoralizing someone they do not even know. Some of it is just joking around but it gets old very fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.