Outlets above suspended ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

M. D.

iwire said:
The transformer would have to be listed for use in handling spaces if in fact the ceiling space was being used for air handling, not all are.

I don't think we can assume all (or any) of these plug in transformers are listed for that.

The fact that it is common to see many items plugged in above a ceiling has absolutely nothing to do with what the code actually allows or prohibits.

Too true dude,.. too true:grin:

cschmid

lmao You guys are correct and I knew yoou having fun as was I ..Sometimes people get to serious when in these discussion and I like devils advocate just for fun..have good night..

smalltime

Okay. Most of this has been centered around Article 400. But most of the time, I'm dealing with a return air plenum and somebody wants to mount an outlet for a ceiling mounted projector for an audiovisual install of some sort. Above the drop tile in a return air plenum? I check out 300.22 "Wiring in Ducts, Plenums and Other Air Handling Spaces" and refer to 300.22(C)(1) "Wiring Methods" and see, "The wiring methods for such other spce shall be limited to totally enclosed, nonventilated insulated busway having no provisions for plug-in connections." It's the "plug-in connections" that makes me wary of recepts above the drop tile.

Am I interpreting this correctly?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
smalltime said:
Okay. Most of this has been centered around Article 400. But most of the time, I'm dealing with a return air plenum and somebody wants to mount an outlet for a ceiling mounted projector for an audiovisual install of some sort. Above the drop tile in a return air plenum? I check out 300.22 "Wiring in Ducts, Plenums and Other Air Handling Spaces" and refer to 300.22(C)(1) "Wiring Methods" and see, "The wiring methods for such other spce shall be limited to totally enclosed, nonventilated insulated busway having no provisions for plug-in connections." It's the "plug-in connections" that makes me wary of recepts above the drop tile.

Am I interpreting this correctly?

Plug-in style busway would have the potential of allowing smoke to enter an opening in a non-plenum area, travel through the busway housing, finally exisiting through a different opening into the plenum.

Status
Not open for further replies.