Stupidest comment you ever heard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricalperson

I am living in a house wired by an EE.

It is a disaster.

For one example here is a picture of the wirenuts he used to connect the dishwasher. Wonder why it only worked intermittently?

He double lugged most of the breakers in the panel.

He saved some money by not installing those silly green wires.

I could go on and on, but you get the idea.

are you sure it was an electrical engineer and not some hack handyman? i would think an EE would know a little bit about basic electricity

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
are you sure it was an electrical engineer and not some hack handyman? i would think an EE would know a little bit about basic electricity

Why? Few EE's are trained in wiring practices. You can get a EE degree and never deal with anything other than computers or audio systems.

nvpowerdoc

Why? Few EE's are trained in wiring practices. You can get a EE degree and never deal with anything other than computers or audio systems.

Some EE's actually have more experience from/in the field then some Journeymen (union) Electricians (not many though I agree). Like one GF who wanted me to design a temp power system for a new construction high-rise (over 50 floors tall) and he only wanted to use 120V-20A #10 circuits from a distribution panel on the ground all the way up. Hmmm, can we say voltage drop? Even if I upsized the conductor, you'd never get the wire under the lug on the receptacle. Isn't that why they make "Y" adapters, so I plug more "Y" adapters in?

nvpowerdoc

electrical engineers are the worst customers i think. one guy was standing right over my shoulder watching me work. that was a little uncomfortable:smile:

Anyone confident in their work should never be worried someone is looking over their shoulder, in fact I make sure I hand them a 2x4 so they can give me a whack when I can't let go (just kidding). It never bothered me when a customer watched my work - this way they could never say I tried to cover something up. Everyone should be proud of quality workmanship!

jrohe

Occupation
Professional Engineer
EC: "How do you expect me to get this 42" wide switchgear section through this 36" wide doorway?"

Me: "And how deep is the switchgear section?"

EC: "30 Inches." Long pause... "Never mind."

tshea

Then: "Is that your best price? Can you do it for less?"
Me: "Sure. What part of the job would you like me to leave out?"

jrclen

By far the dumbest and most scary thing I ever heard came from a home owner who having a new house built.

His house burned to the ground, the fire killed his 9 year old son. It was blamed on faulty wiring. In the attached garage which survived the fire and contained the service, I found wiring I can only call - really, really bad.

He looked me right in the eye and told me, "I'm going to help you wire up the new house." That left me speechless for a minute.

I then told him my license and insurance would only allow him to drill the holes for the wire runs. He then decided not to help.

hvandusen

Dumbest comment ever

Dumbest comment ever

On a friends new house under construction, a consultant stated," make sure you set that weatherhead at the proper height so that you get a sufficient drop for the electricity to flow from the pole."

220/221

The skylight was a classic :grin:

I've had the flash photography than once.

As far as residential, the one I ALWAYS get is, "I don't understand how it could just stop working after all these years"

"I only have a budget of $x.xx. Can you do it for that amount?"

That seems stupid on their part. I LOVE it when someone gives me the upper limit. It make the bidding process much easier.

And I had to include the ugliest slo blow fuses ever.

ee6145310bd1.jpg

sii

On a friends new house under construction, a consultant stated," make sure you set that weatherhead at the proper height so that you get a sufficient drop for the electricity to flow from the pole."

By that logic you should be able to get more power by raising the weatherhead further?:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.