Stupidest comment you ever heard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyou812

people love to say how dangerous it is and in the other thread we have seen several examples of screw terminals. So what say you people (in my best Bill O'Reily voice)

steelersman

people love to say how dangerous it is and in the other thread we have seen several examples of screw terminals. So what say you people (in my best Bill O'Reily voice)
It certainly seems that backstabbing is much safer as I haven't seen any pics posted yet of burnt recepts. due to backstabbing and have now seen 3 seperate pics from 3 seperate posters of burnt recepts. due to bad "loose" screw terminations.

So the verdict is in for me and I now know that all of my backstabbed devices I've done (pretty much all of them, except for 20 amp circuits) are much safer than the screwed ones.

All the more reason for me to keep on stabbing these devices right in the back! :)

Pullnwire

Occupation
Electrician, Business Owner, SME and Trade Instructor
i had a gc ask if he could buy the material at his electrical supplier. Sure I said. let me know who your salesman is and I'll place the order on your account. "oh, just go into home depot and ask anyone, they can help you." I guess i missed the 225 kva transformers and 400 amp panelboards last time i was there! :-?

480sparky

It certainly seems that backstabbing is much safer as I haven't seen any pics posted yet of burnt recepts. due to backstabbing and have now seen 3 seperate pics from 3 seperate posters of burnt recepts. due to bad "loose" screw terminations.

So the verdict is in for me and I now know that all of my backstabbed devices I've done (pretty much all of them, except for 20 amp circuits) are much safer than the screwed ones.

All the more reason for me to keep on stabbing these devices right in the back! :)

All else being equal, that would be a valid statement. But of the billions of devices out there, how may are wired to screw terminals and how many are back-stabbed? Screw terminals were made long before back-stabs hit the market. That's like saying vehicles built before 2000 are safer than a 2009 because you've never seen a 2009 in an accident.

Last edited:

electricalperson

Here....... they've already been tagged.....

Fuses.jpg

i seen that picture before i dont remember who posted it. i bet the installers face was red when he couldnt figure out why that didnt work

480sparky

hey,i want a refund.their not time delay.:D also not 600 volt fuses either.:D have a merry xmas

Are these time delay then?

2008717231842_sirch.jpg

i seen that picture before i dont remember who posted it. i bet the installers face was red when he couldnt figure out why that didnt work

It was me. I got a service call at a mobile home park. One unit didn't have 240volts. Only one side of the service had 120v.

I'm glad I'm not the only one this happened to.

No disrespect to the EE's out there but I once did a job where the customer said "I'm an EE I could have done this myself".

Joe

In all fairness, I know it's a whole lot different to draw something than it is to build it!

Years back my J-man & I were troubleshooting a motor control center. The owner was standing over us saying, "I don't have time for this, install some no-blow fuses (copper tubes he cut), I need this crusher going" Well, we didn't want to, but he insisted. :mad: So. we installed the copper pipe, turned the disco on & smoked 5 transformers in the MCC. We immediately picked up our tools, told the owner we are not taking the blame & left. Never did another job for him.

It's a whole lot faster to fix this right than to replace all these when your H/A idea blanks things up!

As far as the dumbest things I've heard"
Me:"It won't meet code"
Dad:"It don't have to meet code, it's just gotta work!"

Friend:"Look, I know what the code says...now, let me tell you why we're doing it this way..."

My brothers response to his crappy looking and horribly bad panel switch out work:"The PoCo guy was standing right behind me when I hooked it up!"

When I was standing in the parking lot of an auto parts store, holding a fire extinguisher, waiting for a guy to figure out that a gum wrapper wasn't going to be able to replace the headlight fuse that kept blowing...
Me:"I don't think that's gonna work..."
Guy:(Grabs wrapper with pliers quickly when it starts smoking for the umpteenth time)"It's gonna work!"

steelersman

All else being equal, that would be a valid statement. But of the billions of devices out there, how may are wired to screw terminals and how many are back-stabbed? Screw terminals were made long before back-stabs hit the market. That's like saying vehicles built before 2000 are safer than a 2009 because you've never seen a 2009 in an accident.
If you want to talk stricktly residential, then I'm quite sure that there are far more backstabbed outlets than screw terminated ones. Obviously in commercial they all have to be screw terminated since they should all be on 20 amp circuits and #12 wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.